SSL certificates on multisite with 70 mapped domains

I have a Wordpress Multisite without about 70 mapped domains, running on a Cpanel account. Browsers will soon generate warnings for non-SSL sites so I need to be able to generate SSL certificates. But multi-domain certificates have a limit of a hundred domains, and subdomains count towards that limit inc www. But Cpanel only allows one certificate per account so what do I do?

The multisite is on Cpanel. There are over 70 domains parked on it and mapped to the multisite. My server support team has told me that I can only install one SSL certificate. We had a look at let's encrypt but there's still a 100 domain limit. People get around it using virtual hosts but apparently, that's incompatible with the Cpanel setup.

Please advise the best possible workaround in this case.

• James Morris

Hello Jackie,

I hope you are well today.

In your particular situation, you'll want to look into a SAN (Subject Alternative Name) SSL Certificate. This type of certificate allows you to install 1 certificate file that will cover several unique domain names, such as:

*.yourdomain.com
    client1.com
    client2.com

You can learn more about SAN SSL Certificates at the following link: https://www.digicert.com/subject-alternative-name.htm

DigiCert offers such a SSL that includes up to 250 unique FQDNs. However, they are not the only provider.

Now, with such a type of cert, there's a bit of a sticker shock at first. This is where creative marketing and client education has to come into play for you as a developer. You'll need to educate your client base in the changes in browsers and search engines and explain to them that adding SSL to their service will significantly improve their ROI and conversion. If you handle this crucial marketing step correctly, you should find that you'll have little trouble covering the expense through passing it along to your client base. If you're careful in your cert provider selection, you may even turn a little profit for your time. :wink:

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• Jackie

Hi James

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know that Digicert allows up to 250 FQDNs.

Most of my multisite clients are micro businesses and not-for-profits in a regional area. I'm never in a blue moon going to be able to sell them SSL for US$49 annually plus my time.

Only my larger clients/online stores will accept those charges and they're on independent Wordpress installs in their own Cpanel accounts, so can have their own SSL certificates.

I've seen posts about configuring Cloudflare with free SSL on a multisite so will give that a go. That way I can charge a one-off setup fee which will be more palatable to them.

Thanks
    Jackie

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.