SSL error in uptime after changing DNS to WPMUDEV

I changed my DNS this morning to your hosting, but have been receiving the following errors from Uptime:

Our systems have detected that your site – https://www.quad++++ws.co.uk/ – went down on Sep 12, 2019 5:50pm and is returning “Error: write EPROTO 140323805079360:error:14094410:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert handshake failure:../deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/record/rec_layer_s3.c:1536:SSL alert number 40

Chat agent seems to think this might clear up in due time, but wasn’t entirely 100% certain, we tried disabling uptime and re-activating it again.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello JEANETTE

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

I checked the site and Uptime messages and it actually states why it happened: the “hostname doesn’t match name in certificate” – that basically means a mismatch between SSL certificate and an actual host that the Uptime connects.

It is related to the domain configuration change – to the DNS delegation and certificate generation. Domain delegation usually can take even up to 24 hours to fully propagate across entire DNS network (though sometimes even longer – up to 48 hours) and during that time the site might be served from new or old server – for some location one, for some locations another, changing over time until DNS is fully propagated.

Additionally, the certificate must be generated by WPMU DEV host for each and every newly added domain and that requires DNS to be already fully functional.

It seems though that it already “sorted itself out”. I checked Uptime for the site and it seems there’s been no new “down” incidents for nearly “half a day” so I think DNS propagation and SSL generation/installation for the domain is already complete.

Best regards,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.