SSL Network with sub dir and domain mapping

Hi there,

I'm still a bit confused on getting the SSL to work on a multsite with a sub directory setup and using domain mapping.

I have a my Multisite SSL already with a sub directory setup.
All my subsites are HTTPS, but when trying to map it with a custom domain name it will not get a HTTPS and will have a conflict with the main site certificate. Which is understandable, but now the question is how to make sure that the mapped domain names are able to use HTTPS.

Can I proceed with what I have and have users get their own SSL for their own domain name and map that to the subsite?

Atm I have a auto SSL from my vps (cpanel) which allows me to have HTTPS on my main site and sub directory sites. Or do I still need to upgrade to a multi domain SSL?

Cheers,
Ronald

• Sajid

Hello Dutchman,
    Hope you are doing good today

The standard SSL certificate will work for all your subsmites on a SubDirectory setup.

But in case, you want to protect all you custom domains mapped on a subsite. Then you would need a Multi-Domain SSL certificate.

Or you can also configure multiple certificates per IP for your other domains but this can cause issues/conflicts on some environments. So I would recommend using one certificate to cover all domains on your network.

You can read more details about different types of Certificates and how to configure with Domain Mapping plugin on this blog post:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/ssl-domain-mapping/

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance!

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

• Dutchman

Hi Sajid,

Thank you for your reply and I have seen the links already and I have read most of the posts here as well. Still its a bit confusing when you think you have a sub directory that enables you to have all the subsites to be HTTPS. But when I want to go to the next step of offering the mapped domain a SSL thats where its gets confusing, because then read about the wildcard for sub domains....

So that means I need to go back again from subdirectory to subdomain setup in my Multisite?
    Then have a wild card to be able to offer my users to have a mapped domain with HTTPS?

Please advice.
    Kind regards,

Ronald

• Sajid

Hello Dutchman,
    Hope you are doing good today!

So that means I need to go back again from subdirectory to subdomain setup in my Multisite?

No! Once you have the MultiSites network setup using Subdirectory, you don't need to switch to subdomains.

So there are two points.

1. SSL for subsites. In your case, you have subsite on a subdirectory setup. Where your main site SSL can be used. So we are good here. We don't need a wildcard certificate.

Wildcard certificate is only required for subdomain setup. Which you don't have so you can skip this part.

2. SSL for mapped domains. At this point, the main domain SSL certificate would not work for your mapped domains. Since this is only for your main domain. So your existing SSL certificate would not work here.

In this case, you have two options.

1. Acquire a Multi-Domain (UCC) SSL certificate. But this will cover only 100 domains. If your network would have mapped domains under 100 then you are good here. In case you would have lots of domains specially more than 100 then you must go with option two below.

2. So, you would have more than 100 mapped domains on your network. Awesome! But in this case, you must have a virtual host with SNI.

To run things smoother and set every thing up, you must need to consult with your hosting or should have a system administrator who will manage all this stuff. Because, it requires a good knowledge of server administration.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance!

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support