SSL questions regarding Domain Mapping

i am trying to get the right SSL for my multi blog network. I offer domain mapping and users have email at their domain and also
What SSL do I buy to solve this issue
a. every site will have mapped domain
b. every site will have email at their domain
please advise

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Malcolm,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

There are two ways of handling this: the legacy one and the "modern" one :slight_smile:

The "classic" way is to make use of Multidomain SSL certificate. These certs let you handle multiple domains (a sub-domain is usually also considered a domain) and they work with pretty every server (even the simplest shared hosts) that's assigned a single dedicated IP.

The downside is that you cannot add domains "on the fly" and each time the new domain is mapped you'll need to add it to the certificate, re-issue it and update on the server.

There's another way though, however you'll want to consult your hosting provider to make sure that they support it. With SNI and/or name-based virtual hosting (I think WP Engine supports that) you should be able to install multiple certificates over single IP.

That is of course if your hosting provider supports and allows it.

This way you could initially setup a standard wild-card certificate for your main domain (so the main site and all sub-domains) would be secured and then add single-domain (most standard) certificates "on the go" for all additional mapped domains.

Having said that all, I would really encourage you to get in touch with your host regarding this. The implementation of SSL certification is more a server issue rather than the WP issue and as long as you serve handles the certificate both WP and our Domain Mapping plugin will also handle that.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Malcolm,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

There are two ways of handling this: the legacy one and the "modern" one :slight_smile:

The "classic" way is to make use of Multidomain SSL certificate. These certs let you handle multiple domains (a sub-domain is usually also considered a domain) and they work with pretty every server (even the simplest shared hosts) that's assigned a single dedicated IP.

The downside is that you cannot add domains "on the fly" and each time the new domain is mapped you'll need to add it to the certificate, re-issue it and update on the server.

There's another way though, however you'll want to consult your hosting provider to make sure that they support it. With SNI and/or name-based virtual hosting (I think WP Engine supports that) you should be able to install multiple certificates over single IP.

That is of course if your hosting provider supports and allows it.

This way you could initially setup a standard wild-card certificate for your main domain (so the main site and all sub-domains) would be secured and then add single-domain (most standard) certificates "on the go" for all additional mapped domains.

Having said that all, I would really encourage you to get in touch with your host regarding this. The implementation of SSL certification is more a server issue rather than the WP issue and as long as you serve handles the certificate both WP and our Domain Mapping plugin will also handle that.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.