SSL Requirements for paypal gateways

Quick question. If I'm going to us one of the paypal gateways with Membership 2 pro (or one of the others), will I need to have SSL on the site? Whether or not I should is a different question, of course.

• faydra_deon

All payment transactions will be handle on PayPal's site and then your buyer will be redirected back to your site after he/she completes his/her purchase. Therefore, you don't need an SSL certificate on your site, because you're not storing any debit/credit card and/or checking account information on your site.

I've never used an SSL certificate on any of the sites where I use PayPal for payments, and that's been since 1999, which is actually when PayPal started offering it services. I also have never had a customer come back to me and claim that his/her financial information was compromised because I had no SSL certificate. That's because PayPal has the proper security in place, and all my customers' financial information is handled by PayPal.

I hope that helps.

Faydra...

• Luís

Hi @Adam,

I hope had been good today!

For Paypal gateways you don't need a SSL certificate. For Stripe gateway it's a requirement.

But if you should use a SSL certificate, as you said, is other question, and in my opinion, yes, you should for multiple reasons:

- More protection to the info and payments;
    - Clients feel more secure in your website;
    - Google gives a small rankings boost to sites that utilize SSL ;
    - etc...

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.