Staff Only Wiki, but want to set limits on what they can read only or edit?

Setting wiki up for staff only, but want to set limits on what they can read-only or edit?

Only registered users are able to login and view content as using ‘Restricted Site Access’ plugin.

Setting up a staff as Subscriber means they can only view content, join in a discussion on a wiki, or add a comment on a normal post.

A Contributor can edit/create wikis and also create posts which will be submitted for review of an admin before been published.

But want to make some Wiki Categories limited to certain logins and some logins read-only in certain areas.

Thanks.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ian,

Thank you for the great question.

Though I admit I am not familiar with the ‘Restricted Site Access’ plugin I am familiar with what you want to do and the way this is currently setup using roles to control access and this is indeed the path I think you would want to continue.

I do not know how effective the ‘Restricted Site Access’ plugin is at role management to include role creation like Advanced Access Manager plugin or User Role Editor plugin.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Ian
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks for your reply Joe.

‘Restricted Site Access’ plugin is pretty simple, doesn’t have any role management, just stops anyone viewing a page without logging in first which was what I needed.

I didn’t want all the features of membership plugins like payments, subscriptions, etc and they are more work setting up.

It’s here for anyone interested:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/restricted-site-access/

Thanks for the links, however I don’t think User Role Editor plugin allows to select certain roles to view specific Wiki Categories, tried it on a dev site and it didn’t give that kind of control.

I checked Advanced Access Manager plugin, which appears to list Wiki Categories in Posts & Taxonomies tab, so possibly this would allow certain users set up to only view some Wiki Categories but doesn’t look simple to use.

Confusing if you are meant to tick or un-tick to prevent or allow access, and if you select one option, plus the plugin reviews and support topics don’t look too promising.

It would be nice if the Wiki plugin itself gave more control for access to Wiki Categories than having to rely on another plugin to restrict users.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ian,

Thank you for letting us know and for posting your cure to this issue for other members in the community to benefit from..

I will go ahead and move this topic to feature requests with the request in mind being It would be nice if the Wiki plugin itself gave more control for access to Wiki Categories than having to rely on another plugin to restrict users.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Ian,

I agree with you that this particular project has several feature requests pending for consideration.

Hopefully the lead developer will indeed incorporate some of these soon in a new release and hopefully sooner then later.

Alternatively, you could see if there is a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute.

Cheers, Joe

• Ian

Thanks Joe, but wanted to avoid all the extra steps of setting up a membership site, with subscriptions, groups, etc.

I see they have fixed the password protected page, so this will do for now to restrict people from certain wikis :slight_smile:

A lot more simple :slight_smile:

Cheers, Ian

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

If you’re looking to set up custom roles & permission, Justin Tadlock pretty much wrote the book on it.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/members/

This is not a membership plugin, it’s a role modification system that enhances WP’s CMS capability.

He also wrote this:

http://justintadlock.com/plugindevbook

So he knows what he’s talking about :wink:

Role Scoper is another good plugin for this purpose

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/role-scoper/

As I’m a bit of a hybrid core evangelist though, I tend to trust Tadlock’s work empirically.

• Ian

Thanks Imperative Ideas :slight_smile:

I know Justin Tadlock and have used his themes in the past and he is very good at what he does.

Just didn’t want to make the Wiki too complicated.

Now that the default password page protection works correctly with the Wiki plugin, this works for me to restrict anyone to certain wikis who don’t have that password.

Having user restrictions able to be set up for Wiki categories inside the Wiki settings would have been nice and simple to set up and manage but not necessary for me so will run with how it is currently.

Thanks Joe, yes, keeping it simple to manage is important, less is more :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, be awesome, Ian

• Tim
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Same issue. Trying to restrict access by sub wiki so I can support client staff and also have wiki for the client’s customers to use.

If this wiki could be similar to bbPress in that you could assign a subwiki to a BuddyPress Group I could handle that way.

Right now will have to sacrifice the great wiki features and go the Forum route to ensure that their clients do not see staff only items.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.