Staging area?

Do you have anything that would aid in the development of a staging area for a multisite install? http://code.google.com/p/deploymint/ isn't supported anymore and I imagine there's something people use, I just don't know what?
Thx

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hi @matt_kelly

thanks for posting.

sorry i can't think of any myself.

though i have just installed deploymint on my test site which is 3.5.1 mu. seems to work fine from initial install. though haven't actually tested it fully.

hopefully others may know of something similar.

• Ryan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

There are a few options to look at. The most basic would be to get a version control system (VCS) just about anyone will do, subversion can be easy enough to work with and it is what the WordPress project uses. Though me I use git. I leave the default master branch (or trunk if you use subversion) to be the replication of my production environment. I then have a development branch which gets deployed to my dev server. At that point I will develop code in there individual branches then merge into the development branch, once I am sure my code is ready for production I merge development into master. All that merging is the main reason I chose git, it makes branching much simpler than subversion IMHO.

As far as the process to deploy to the server there are a couple of options. The first is a do it yourself option, setup your own VCS that you host yourself and configure a post-commit hook to do the leg work. Me I just use beanstalkapp.com and I can configure it to deploy for me on command or upon a commit/merge.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.