Staging area?

Do you have anything that would aid in the development of a staging area for a multisite install? http://code.google.com/p/deploymint/ isn’t supported anymore and I imagine there’s something people use, I just don’t know what?

Thx

• Ryan
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

There are a few options to look at. The most basic would be to get a version control system (VCS) just about anyone will do, subversion can be easy enough to work with and it is what the WordPress project uses. Though me I use git. I leave the default master branch (or trunk if you use subversion) to be the replication of my production environment. I then have a development branch which gets deployed to my dev server. At that point I will develop code in there individual branches then merge into the development branch, once I am sure my code is ready for production I merge development into master. All that merging is the main reason I chose git, it makes branching much simpler than subversion IMHO.

As far as the process to deploy to the server there are a couple of options. The first is a do it yourself option, setup your own VCS that you host yourself and configure a post-commit hook to do the leg work. Me I just use beanstalkapp.com and I can configure it to deploy for me on command or upon a commit/merge.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.