Starting a network- Multi Database, Anti-Sblog

In setting up a new network, what is the BEST approach, when it comes to Multi-DB, Anti-Sblog, set up and configuring.

I was reading instructions for Anti-Sblog and it recommends

----------------------------------------
If you are using Multi-DB:

You need to add the global table lines to db-config.php BEFORE installing Anti-Splog plugin or running the sql.txt
Add this line to your db-config.php if using multi-db:

add_global_table('ust');
-----------------------------------------
What happens IF you add the databases later?

If one is expecting to grow the site, should one go ahead and add multiple databases right at the start?

There should be a step by step flow chart of what one should do for set up of a new site. I know there is a lot of help and instruction, but this should be a part.

So, what should I do?

How many DB's should I have? What if MORE are needed later?

Thanks,
Tom

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

If one is expecting to grow the site, should one go ahead and add multiple databases right at the start?

If you expect real growth then it never hurts to plan ahead and build out in anticipation.

So, what should I do?

How many DB's should I have? What if MORE are needed later?

Only you can answer that, I don't know your plans for growth, I don't know your marketing budget or your marketing tactics. These are questions which only you can answer.

As noted on the usage page:

Step 1: Decide how many databases you want (16, 256, 4096)

So, how do you know that this plugin is necessary for your install? Well, there are several factors to consider beyond the scope of this walkthrough, but as a basic guideline:

1-5,000 blogs/sites you should be fine with your WordPress default database

5,000 – 50,000 blogs/sites – go with 16 databases

50,000 – 100,000 blogs/sites – use 256 databases

100,000+ blogs/sites – use 4096 databases

You should be fine to install MutliDB sfter Anti Splog if that's already been done:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/anti-splog-before-multi-db#post-66070

Take care.

• Zyniker
    • WordPress Warrior

If you need to migrate to Multi-DB later, that's not particularly more difficult to do then than it is to do before launching your site. However, if you create a 16-database Multi-DB setup now, you'd likely have to condense your data back into one database before moving to a 256- or 4096-database setup, which could be considerably more involved than just moving to a Multi-DB setup from a single-database setup.

How many sites/users do you intend/expect to have?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

If you don't need it now then don't use it.

You can add it later as mentioned above.

But Zyniker is spot on, choosing one now and then wanting to move for example from 256 to 4096 can be troublesome. I'm sure a member (maybe Mark De Scan) wrote a tutorial type post about this.

Again it's really just about planning.

Take care.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Tom98248,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.