Starting from scratch with MarketPress

I've been using MarketPress very happily for a long while now with heavily customised templates but it's got to the point where I'd like to a) re-theme my site and b) use some of the new features I can't use with my custom templates. I basically want to keep my product data but strip my MarketPress install back down to basics but I'm stalling as I don't know where to start.

Can anyone talk me through how they would go about it, pretty please? Also any input on good lightweight responsive ecommerce themes that work well with Marketpress would be very much welcomed!

Finally.... what do you all use to import your product feeds. I currently use All Import which has worked well for me on custom field etc but I'd be keen to automate updates so if there's something better out there, this is probably the time for me to make a change!

Happy new year all!!!

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @sequin, I hope you are well today!

Happy New Year to you too!

Would you please elaborate and explain what do you mean with this:

I basically want to keep my product data but strip my MarketPress install back down to basics

You wish to reset the plugin to the original state?

Also any input on good lightweight responsive ecommerce themes that work well with Marketpress would be very much welcomed!

You can try any from the Upfront themes it easy to customize with drag and drop elements.

You can start to look in Themeforest directrory as well, where you will find wide range of e-commerce themes.

what do you all use to import your product feeds.

At the current moment our developers are working on an Import/Export add on but I can't give you an ETA for this. For now, you can export/import the products and orders from your Dashboard -> Tools -> Import / or Export.

Please advise,

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi @sequin,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am afraid, there is no reset to defaults button in MarketPress settings at the moment, because there is a lot going on behind the scenes.

In this case I would suggest you to create a staging dev site and export/import products, orders & users. When done don't delete the live site until you are satisfied with dev move it to live site after making changes.

One more thing, if you are familiar with database tables import export via phpMyadmin then you can do this directly from live to dev site. This way you can sync the whole data including products, orders and customers without losing their relationship. The tables you should import/export will be wp_posts, wp_postmeta, wp_users and wp_usermeta.

Hope that helps! If you still need assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care and happy new year :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Sajid J

• sequin
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Sajid,
    Thanks for your reply. I was afraid that was the case. I don't currently have a staging site to use - I know I need one but don't have the space on my hosting :slight_frown:

I can export and back up the data tables though so I'll start with that. I have records of orders / customers so it doesn't matter if I lose those records but I'd obviously prefer not to have to reload every product - if I was to uninstall MarketPress and then reinstall, would that give me the same effect (assuming I removed all my custom templates as well?

Thanks,
    Mel

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi @sequin,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

You can try on localhost, here are tutorials on how to install WordPress on Windows or Mac.
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress-on-your-windows-computer-using-wamp/
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress-locally-on-mac-using-mamp/

You can also try serverpress (they have free version).
    https://serverpress.com/get-desktopserver/

if I was to uninstall MarketPress and then reinstall, would that give me the same effect (assuming I removed all my custom templates as well?

If you uninstall and then install again on same website, then settings of old MarketPress still will be there. So I don't think it would work in this case.

Hope that helps! If you still need assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Sajid J

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.