Starting location for Google Maps

Hi - I love your Google Maps plugin, it's the solution we've been looking for to make our 'Find a personal trainer near you' feature come alive.

You can see it here: http://www.fitness-saver.com/find-a-personal-trainer/

Two problems which I think boil down to the same issue:

1) The map loads and centers on London for me whereas I'm actually in Edinburgh - I tried modifying some of the javascript files but no luck. I know with GEOIP it should be picking up my location.

2) The 'Directions' button doesn't prepopulate my location either - could it pick it up from either BuddyPress or from GEOIP too?

Also - I'm having to perform a LOT of CSS changes to get it to look good - is there a known conflict with another plugin or something or is it just my dodgy Genesis theme? (there's no way we can change themes now, we're too deep and launching the site in 3 weeks)

Thanks!

aecnu

Greetings dhilditch,

1) The map loads and centers on London for me whereas I'm actually in Edinburgh - I tried modifying some of the javascript files but no luck. I know with GEOIP it should be picking up my location.

It believe it is picking up the location of your ISP, not your exact location.
    Check what your IP is and then check the IP's registration --> Network Tools

I believe you will find that the IP registration indicates London --> please advise if this is in fact the case.

2) The 'Directions' button doesn't prepopulate my location either - could it pick it up from either BuddyPress or from GEOIP too?

After checking my own IP with GEO IP I found that it is so inaccurate that it is a tool of uselessness except maybe for country.

Not only does it show that I am located about 120km from where I am. Even my ISP's registered IP block with full address are in the same city I am physically in, which is the capital, but geoip shows me to be located out in the forest somewhere not even close to a town and certainly where it is not even possible to get internet.

Here is my IP, see for yourself: 89.190.199.124

So what is an accurate tool for location?

So I decided to try to find out what my real longitude and latitude are -> as reported by GEOIP I am at Longitude: 25 Latitude: 43 but using another tool itouchmap it says my Longitude is 23.410149 and Latitude: 42.692908

After a lengthy time testing I found entering the latitude and longitude from the tool I described above I did indeed get an accurate, exact location on my map.

I inserted the coordinates into the Enter the location(s) you want to display: and I entered 42.692908,23.410149 then named the map, saved it and inserted it, and it gave me the exact location http://aecnuwpmu.us/sofia-map-show-exact-location/

Hopefully this information will help you achieve exactly the results you want and provide the tools necessary.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe