Stats Plugin For Multisite

What is the best plugin for users to be able to view their traffic stats that is compatible with Multi Site?

StatPress? Google Analytics Plugin? Just want to make sure I start with the best one and the one that is best supported. Thanks

• greenplanetfilms
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

We have just successfully set up Piwik. You set up your own Piwik stats server, then use the wp-piwik plugin to enable your multisite users to utilize it. It automatically creates a new account for each blog the first time it's accessed. Each user has a nice set of stats in the WP Dashboard.

Once you get your head around the installation instructions, it takes about 10 minutes to set up. Not bad at all.

We use this in conjunction with Google Analytics to offer users a choice.

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

Unfortunately Piwik lacks the most interesting feature: the option to distinguish between visitors.
    I need to follow certain visitors around, see what they have visited, for how long, etc.
    Do not get me wrong for the casual user, Piwik is great and gives enough info.

Unfortunately I haven't found the right plugin that gives all needed info for multi site yet. On single wp installations I stick with http://082net.com/tag/wp-slimstat-ex/?orderby=modified seriously the best stats plugin.

Besides ,how exactly do you handle the deletion of Piwik accounts for when you delete SPLOGGERS or people delete their wpmu accounts? any automation there?

• greenplanetfilms

Ovidiu,

Excellent observations, especially about deletion of Piwik for sploggers and deleted accounts. We had not really considered that. My hunch is that those accounts would sit idle on the Piwik server, not being used since their sites would not be active...until we manually delete them periodically.

Will continue to research Piwik and other solutions. We like Piwik so far, albeit the limitations you mentioned are indeed worth considering.

Thanks.

• greenplanetfilms

Oops, we spoke too soon about Piwik. We are having issues with the charts not appearing.

Ovidiu, were you able to get the charts to appear? Is there any special installation procedure? I know that jqPlot is used, but I assumed that it was included in the plugin.

:slight_frown:

• marlin
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I have made my own, heavy modifications to the piwik plugin and on deletion of the blogs the information in Piwik is also removed. Can be done with just a hook.

For presentation of stats I use their own API - not the best look or presentation in IE, but I will figure it out in time.

The plugin is not yet ready, but maybe soon.

Also inspired by Edublogs ...

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

There aren't alot of choices at the moment. There is firestats, and our google analytics plugin. Others are too resource intensive or require each user to signup for a api key.

I haven't really seen any stats plugins jump on the ms bandwagon either. We had tons of these threads back on the old mu forums and many of us had our own fixes for these single site plugins that compiled code together. No one really was willing to give up their code though.

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

haven't started using piwik on multi site enabled sites as my default spam plugin is undergoing maintenance and I didn't want to end up with tons of spam accounts on piwik. once my anti spam is sorted out I'll try.
    any more hints on how to delete piwik accounts when a blog is being deleted?

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

users seem to need to show off their stats to the public.

I know you can log into piwik itself and get widget code and create a widget for yourself.

has anyone thought about creating a few piwik widgets? even a simple visitor counter would be great...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.