Status Updates Showing on Front Page

Hello,

I am SOOO excited about your status updates plugin, but I am having some difficulty getting it to work as intended. I want folks to be able to update their status, but I do NOT want it to show up on the front page of the site .I've created a category, connect, that all the status updates are posting to. Other than that, i do not want them to show up. I'm also looking for a way to get the connect category to display in more of a traditional feed format.
I sign up for a membership, and I am so stoked about working with you guys for years to come. What always stops me when dealing with a plugin/WP company, is the fact that as soon as I attempt to use something, there are major problems. If there is anything you can do to assist me, I would GREATLY appreciate it.
Comic Booked.com is VERY good at spreading the word, and we have a fantastic community. I would be more than happy to share with the world that we are working with you, and that we recommend the amazing work that you do.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Will Sokolowski
CEO
Comic Booked, LLC.
http://www.comicbooked.com
Connecting a Comic Booked World...

• aecnu

Greetings Will,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Thank you for bringing this item to our attention though I am not sure exactly what the issue is here and the way you described the plugin working I want folks to be able to update their status, but I do NOT want it to show up on the front page of the site is absolutely the intended use.

Therefore anything after is not intended use but your preference, which is fine of course.

But after reading your post twice I cannot figure out what the exact issue is.

Please clarify.

Cheers, Joe

• Comic Booked

Joe,

Thank you very much, I appreciate the help! I do have a TON of questions other than this one, and am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Probably the same reason I stopped with WPMU a while back. I LOVE the work you do, I just have questions and could really use someone to chat with. THANKS!!!

For the problem above, he's what is happening...and here's the site http://www.comicbooked.com

if post a status update, it shows up on the front page of our website. I do NOT want status updates to show up on the front page of the site.
    I have created a category, called Connect, that the status updates are being posted too. I did this, as I want a menu button on the site, that says Connect. When people click there, they are taken to all the status updates, running in live time, as people post them. Much like the fb newsfeed. The other thing that is boggling my mind, is that because Connect is a category, I can't update it to include the share bar, so that folks that go to that section of the site, can share status updates, as well as browse the ones on the site.
    Anyways, I hope this clarifies things a bit. I'm looking into a simple facebook clone instead, but would MUCH rather use your plugins. This is the 3rd plugin that I have tried so far, after buying membership, and it is the 3rd one that hasn't worked.
    I don't want to jump ship, but I also can't keep trying plugin after plugin that doesn't work, especially when paying for membership.
    Please help!! :slight_smile:

Will

• aecnu

Greetings Will,

Thank you for the additional input which is certainly appreciate.

The first thing to dig into here is what theme are you using?

Is it my understanding for example that you think the status plugin does not work because though it will indeed post to your front page (working) that because it is not posting to where you want that it does not work?

Where are the posts from status now? I do not see the button on your site?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Comic Booked

We are using the Continuum theme from Industrial themes.

And yes, totally agree.....The plugin works. I can add the status bar to my sidebar, and people can update their status there. It then works....and posts the update on the front page of our site. So in that regard, yes works fine.
    But, we want to know how to do what we're talking about here, so that it is actually something we can use on our site. If not, it doesn't work for us, and that was the point of becoming a member.....finding awesome wordpress plugins that enhance our site and move our company forward.
    Also to note, that the status update also comes out looking really bad, with no set featured image or description.
    I did send a lengthy email into support, and am yet to hear back. I appreciate the help here, and hope that I can figure out how to get this thing working right. It is the 3rd plugin we've tried that hasn't worked, so things get a bit frustrating for sure.

• aecnu

Greetings Will,

Thank you for your perspective and feedback which is certainly appreciated and understood.

There is not much I can do about this myself without custom coding which I will save your time linking to the part where my Boss explains custom coding is not within the scope of the support we provide here, and this is of course not the intended use of the plugin which we both agree works.

With that said and still trying to help I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Vladislav

Hello,

Depending on what your theme supports out of the box, you'll probably be looking into some custom code to make it happen exactly how you want it, although it shouldn't be anything too demanding. You'll need to make some changes to your theme - if your theme supports omitting a category from the home page feed, then that's what you can use to filter out the status posts. If not, you can edit your homepage template and filter out the category for your feeds from the query used to construct the page.

You'll also need to create a template for your category feed (a page template would be a good idea, probably), which could be done with a custom category query. You'll need this to fetch the feeds live, with AJAX requests (you'll also need a handler for this on the server side). In that template you can then use the Status template tag to output the form, something along the lines of <?php if (function_exists("wdqs_quick_status")) wdqs_quick_status(); ?> - don't forget to also set the output to "Do not place it automatically, I will place it myself" in plugin settings.