Staying logged in between sites

Hello

I am building a multi-site which will be like EDUblogs. I also want to create another multi-site network for a Buddypress network which will have learning management features and social networking.

I don't want to combine buddypress with the Edublogs-like site because I think it will get too complicated and more problems may arise. I would rather develop each separately so that I can use the basic functionality if the buddypress setup causes problems.

Is there a way that someone who is logged in as a member of the EDUblogs-like site can automatically be logged in when they visit the Buddypress network of sites? Can they be integrated even though they are on two different multi-site networks?

Or is there a better way?

Dustin

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Multi-domains essentially lets you have offer sites at multiple domains you own. They support single sign on.

BuddyPress would be installed on the main site by default. So it doesn't go on sub sites. You can enable it but it shares all the same DB, i.e. they are not independent installs like most plugins.

You can also define which site BuddyPress functions on if its to work on only one.

define ( 'BP_ROOT_BLOG', $blogid );

You would change the $blogid to the actual site ID you want BuddyPress to work on.

Is there a way that someone who is logged in as a member of the EDUblogs-like site can automatically be logged in when they visit the Buddypress network of sites? Can they be integrated even though they are on two different multi-site networks?

Its not possible by default to share sessions in this manner.

You could look at something like LDAP to share credentials or some kind of OID implementation. There use to be OID server plugins but not looked in a while.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.