Step by Step Documentation for A/B Theme Testing Plugin?

Does there exist an in-depth, step by step document for this plugin? I just feel like I can get the plugin installed via the usage tab, but then am on my own to piece it all together via support questions and google analytics links.

This plugin is a fantastic idea, and there is a lot of perceived power that I'd love to leverage, but I just don't have the luxury of time (as I'm sure most of your clientele don't) to fill in the gaps.

Thanks team WPMU.

• Patrick

Hi there @fivehead

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

Unfortunately, there isn't one... yet.

There have been so many enhancements & improvements to so many of our products lately that the docs team has fallen behind. This is one of the projects that does need some additional documentation for sure.

In the meantime, is there any specific hurdle that you're having difficulty with? We're here to help!

• fivehead

Thanks for the reply Patrick. I will look forward to a document coming out.

In the meantime:

1) We have a basic installation of google analytics - does that suffice, or do I need to set up some custom settings to utilize this plugin? The instructions on the a/b plugin settings page lead me to believe that I shouldn't have to do much, as it states that the plugin handles the custom segment creation automatically:

This plugin rotates themes to assign them evenly between visitors. A visitor's theme assignment is saved via a cookie and only changes when you disable the plugin or choose different themes to test. It also creates a custom segment in Google Analytics for each theme visitors are assigned. The segment names will be of the format "Theme Test: THEMENAME" in Analytics. You can then analyze browsing and buying behavior based upon the custom segments named after the themes selected for testing. More information on custom segmentations in Analytics »

Your site must already have GA tracking code enabled on your site via a plugin or theme. A/B Theme Testing is compatible with both the older and newer asynchronous tracking code. The custom segment data may take up to 24 hours to begin showing in Analytics. Click the "User Defined" link under "Visitors", then select the "Goal Conversion" tab. (Note: You will have to create at least one goal or funnel in Google Analytics to track conversions!)

1a) Related to question 1 above, my a/b plugin settings page doesn't have a place for me to enter our analytics number, as shown here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ab-theme-testing/. What am I missing?

2) I was playing w/the plugin, activated it, and chose my 2 themes (current theme and a tester). I then tested on various devices & confirmed that it was rotating them. HOWEVER, the tester theme looks like a theme that had just been activated on a fresh install of wordpress. Is there a way to customize both themes as if both were our main theme? This is vital to test the difference between themes.

I think those are the biggest questions I need answered before devoting more time to using this plugin.

Many Thanks

• PC

Hey there,

Thanks for posting back. Sorry about the delay here.

You just need to enter your tracking code and it will take care of the rest.

1a) Related to question 1 above, my a/b plugin settings page doesn't have a place for me to enter our analytics number, as shown here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ab-theme-testing/. What am I missing?

I will need to have a closer look. You can enable support access via :

WordPress Dashboard >> WPMU DEV Dashboard >> Support >> Staff Access >> Grant Access.

If you have not installed WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin yet, kindly do that here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/ and then allow access as per the above process.

Is there a way to customize both themes as if both were our main theme?

Yes, but you will need to one by one activate the themes on the main site and configure them. That ways each of the theme settings will be saved in the database and it will show them up correctly as if it were the main site.

I hope that helps. Please advise on the staff access.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.