Still a lot of spam

Hi, i’ve the anti splog plugin, but i still get a lot of spam blogs&post. The plugin works, i’ve set recaptcha + 2 blogs per ip /day, but nothing…i’ve too much spam :slight_frown: every hour there are spam posts… i spam them, but everyday is the same

any hint to solve this ?

(i don’t change the signup page because it’d need changes to the templates&buddypress)

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya!

Can you clarify that you’re getting spam posts?

Have you spammed the users who are creating these posts or are new users continually registering?

This plugin should stop new users/blogs from being created when they match the spam criteria, but it doesn’t stop individual posts. You can set up the plugin to automatically spam the user the same time you spam their blog/site as well.

Thanks!

• Huemac
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi, i’ve set to spam the user at the same time as well. The users are new registered, and I block them using the ip block (ie. i set as spam all the blogs from the same ip, and sometimes are more than 1 blog). But i still have new users who create blogs and start spamming, in a bot way, not human

• 2Ps
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi,

I’ve opened up my site for registration and I’m using the anti-splog plugin.

I’m getting about 3-5 new registrations per hour from spammers and I keep deleting them as I’m still in the final testing phase of the live site. However I’m not going to want to monitor this on an hourly basis.

They are not automatically marked as spam by the way.

Any further guidance / clarification will be much appreciated.

Ralf

http://www.mygrandsun.com

• Aaron
    • CTO

Our API is only about 5-10% effective at actually autospamming new signups. It’s pretty good as putting suspicious ones in the queue though. Where is really shines and is >90% effective is when spammers actually post, which is the first time there is content that we can identify. Up until then there is no way to reliably distinguish a splog signup, though we try very hard.

• Huemac

I think that the plugin it’s kinda bugged, we have a lot of signups as Ralf, and most of them are not set as spam… but we’ve also a lot of spam posts (in arabic too) which still there, without set the blog as spam… every 30-40 minutes there is a spam post, and we have to remove (set as spam) the blog… but everyday is the same…

• Mark

The Anti Splog plug-in learns from all the webmasters who have it installed on their sites.. If each webmaster does not do daily or weekly house-keeping by spamming missed splogs where required then the system won’t learn fast enough and may then seem not to be running optimally.

I find using the “Admin Defined Questions” with many different general knowledge questions slows down the spam sign-ups considerably. The Captcha system seems to be a waste of time for me.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Re: Admin Defined Questions. You have to watch those though. What may be simple to you may not be to others. To us science oriented folks, the sun is white, not yellow. :slight_smile:

Monitoring the IP addresses of splogers and blocking it within the htaccess file is what helps us. Getting users involved is also a bit hit with out installs. Just mentioned that over at librarything. One of our elgg installs outputs a “Who’s new for the month” report with a link to each new subsite within the last 35 days. Generates about 80% of their reports. :slight_smile:

• Marty McOmber
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I too am getting a lot of spam blogs. The anti-spam plugin in doing a good job of catching and marketing them as spam.

Is there a way to it to stop the creation of the splogs in the first place? Or automoatically delete them if they hit a certain probablility?

For some reason, after I updated to the latest version and rechecked the API, I’ve seen the splog numbers go through the roof. I used to get maybe three or four sblogs a day (and conntected registrations) but that had grown to about 3 or 4 an hour. It is getting to be a hassle to clean those up every day.

Also, is there a way to make the change registration page adaptable to buddypress? I appreicate the is clearly marked that this option is not compatible. But it sure would help if it could be modified to work with BuddyPress.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Marty

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

+1 again for kicking out here a page showing the ip addresses most used for setting up splogs for within the last 48 hours. We do this at our firewalls. Makes life a bit easier. (Granted it’s for forum posting and blog comment spammers but same idea.)

• Marty McOmber
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Sue.

Thanks. Not sure what you mean by reducing the number of blogs and IP addressed to one or two a day. But I do limit the number of blogs to one per user.

And drmike. I agree that would be very useful info. I’m going to have to start banning IP addresses, as I suspect I’m getting targeted more often.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

One of the pluses with running our own in house anti spam solution. Any time we notice ‘x’ number of spams coming from a single IP address within ‘y’ number of minutes, we pass a API call to the firewall management program and that IP address is blocked for 4 hours.

If you track your splogs being created, you’ll probably notice that many of them are being created with only a few IP addresses. If you track them and block them when you noticed a pattern, it’ll probably help.

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi Marty

In Super Admin > Anti splog go to settings and you can “Limit Blog Signups Per Day’ from unlimited to 1 or 2. Look for it under point 9 on the Anti splog installation page here – https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/anti-splog/installation/

When a splog creator knows you aren’t limiting by IP address and they find your site they’ll create mutliple blogs attached to mutliple users from the same IP address. Limiting to “Limit Blog Signups Per Day’ to 1 or 2 per day helps minimise the issue with these types of sploggers.

Also when you go to spam via Suspected splog list make sure you use spam their registered IP by clicking on Spam action link next to their IP address and then clicking OK as it takes all their splogs out in one go.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

When a splog creator knows you aren’t limiting by IP address and they find your site they’ll create mutliple blogs attached to mutliple users from the same IP address.

They’ll still try though. We had something like 2 million hits from those ip addresses under out 4 hour blocks. On the spammers end, it;’s usually all automated and they still get paid if they succeed or not.

Just on your end, it;s easier to clean up,

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

We’re definitely looking into how we could incorporate some front end IP banning / 3rd party spam blocking solutions… would be great for edublogs too!

However, Aaron’s away at the moment so it’s going to be at least a few weeks before we can get to work on this addition in any detail – sorry for the delay.

• skolbloggen

While we are on this topic. I did an upgrade from a previous version of anti-splog and has now gone from 2-3 splogs a week to 20-50 splogs per day… I dont know if something is wrong or this new version is different (or I might have changed a setting somewhere).

I use buddypress, so I am stucked with that signup process I guess, and thats a shame, because the option you have, that are not buddypress compatible, to change the signupage regularly, thats the most effective thing I have ever seen for spam-prevention. Why cant you make that option buddypress compatible?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.