Still getting a lot

Still getting a lot of image errors within hummingbird on this site.
It seems images are not the correct size for their container.
The theme is creating multiple sized images.
But appears to be using the incorrect size for the container?
Am I correct in this presumption?
Is this just a badly written theme?

Thanks again

Dan

Luís

Hi JazzyDan ,

Hope you're doing well today!

From what I checked the recommendation is to related to some "full-size images ". When the images are being re-sized via HTML or CSS (incorrect use of the thumbnail size), the recommendation should be "Compressing and Resizing" not just "Compressing" as you are getting.

Hummingbird checks the optimization like Google PageSpeed or GTMetrix does and the recommendation is the images could be compressed a little more (I start from the beginning point that there is no any server side cache feature interfering with this).

The default Smush option is a lossless compression, so, WP Smush Pro will compress the images without any drop of quality. Sometimes the scans gives a recommendation that the images can be compressed a little more.

To overcome this, you can try the Super Smush option, that can compress 2x more than the "normal" smush, however, this option is a lossy compression.

From what I checked, your site speed is good and with a good score (93% in Gtmetrix), and speed/grade gains for optimize these images a little more will be almost invisible.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

Luís

Hi JazzyDan ,

I am not sure if was any issue in our system, but the site assigned to this topic was different. I made my previous reply based in other site (sjg.....nce.com) and now I am checking other site assigned (permanentcosmeticsrugby.co.uk).

In fact, regarding to the images, in this site (permanentcosmeticsrugby.co.uk) you are having some resizings via CSS, what is in part reponsible for the low score in the "Optimize images", as an example

Unfortunately, the only way to fix this is changing the theme code.

However, you are getting another recommendation in Hummingbird, "Improve server response time", that should easly fixed installing a plugin like WP Super Cache to give a full page cache feature to your website.

Cheers, Luís

Sohag

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply and I hope you are having a beautiful day!

We have seen the reply of your theme suppliers. In this situation if you really like to optimize your site's speed then you have to change or customize the theme or if you like to keep the styles of this theme and to have future updates then you can create a child theme of this with the template part of homepage changed to fetch a smaller thumbnail instead.

For the zoom effect on mouse over on your images the bigger size images are used. Which is to make sure that the images do not become blurry when they are scaled. However in your site's case there is a dark overlap occurs on mouse-over so a slight change will not be visible to the visitor. Here is an example which uses one image and scales it on mouseover using css

https://codepen.io/dragoeco/pen/ibrzK/

If you like to make the changes then you might need a developer. This customization is not in our workscope we are just suggesting potential solution.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Cheers,
    Sohag