Still having trouble with hummingbird

When I try to access Asset optimization, the site returns a 500 error due to lack of memory, however, the memory was already increased a lot without any luck (4GB).

  • Patrick Freitas

    Hi jnkfrancis

    Sorry to hear that you are having this problem, I had a closer look, I can see in the debug.log the memory issue, however there is many other deprecated functions and others issues, so in this case we would like to be sure that it is not a plugin conflict.

    So, would you mind please run a conflict test?

    Remember, is important that you run this test in a staging site, if you can’t do it you must create a full backup.

    Please deactivate all plug-ins just keep the reported one, and check if the problem is gone. If so, then enable all plugins one by one and find which one is creating the issue.

    You can follow this chapter about plugin conflict test: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-2

    Let me know the results that you get,
    Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

  • jnkfrancis

    Hi Patrick,
    You probably haven't seen the chat logs, so I'll give you the same info I gave the other support guys.

    I did a plugin conflict test down to just hummingbird and domain mapping and the problem persisted. Then I made an exact clone of the site using cloner and it works perfectly.

    I poked around in the database and the posts table as of yesterday was 900mb and I looked for HB entries. I stopped counting at the 4th page of 500 rows so there are at least 2k HB entries in the posts table for that site.

    My php.ini has memory allocated up to 4gb and 300 sec allocated to time out.

    If you look at the database it is sendasites_6 and it is wp_47.

    Thanks for your work, please don't take my conciseness as frustration, I've just typed that info a half dozen times so I try to keep it to the point. :slight_smile:

  • Konstantinos Xenos

    Hi jnkfrancis !

    I've been going through the log files and I see plenty of errors ( and I'm sure that you already know that one of your log files has reached 4+GB ). I couldn't locate any Hummingbird related issues through either logs or my testing and the Assets management was loading for me for the time being.

    Don't get me wrong, I do believe you and I saw the database tables as well, so there might be an issue that we have to take care of, but while debugging none came up. Unfortunately the way the logs keep getting populated it doesn't make it easier also.

    What I would suggest is first of all try checking your plugins to see if they are compatible with the current PHP version that you're running, as most errors are a PHP check from deprecated calls or changes due to updates.

    Also I see you have zlib enabled. There are tickets handled in WordPress Core already about zlib issues the users set zlib.output_compression = On. Usually that is set to Off. When it's on any plugin that calls ob_end_flush() zlib will fail resulting in various errors mishaps ( and the plugins that use it are plenty ).

    There are some ways of fixing this, you can either turn zlib.output_compression = Off (that's the usual). So compressions can be handled by gz instead -or- you can try adding the remove_action( 'shutdown', 'wp_ob_end_flush_all', 1 ); ( not working all the time ).

    The issues that you're having might be a result of other plugins giving various conflicts within the WP ecosystem resulting on other plugins acting weird as well.

    I hope this helps a bit for now, as there isn't much we could do more while running on top of all the other errors.

    Regards,
    Konstantinos

  • jnkfrancis

    Thanks for the tip, I will look into that. Can I safely delete the thousands of hummingbird entries in the wp_posts table? This one site is the only one with that problem. It's clone, in the same multi site/server config has no trouble at all and I'm convinced it has to be the reason. That is the only difference between the clone and the problem site, thousands of hummingbird entries in the data base opposed to just a handful.

    I've been wanting to try to delete this entries but I'm not sure if it would be safe. Can you advise on that, can I safely delete those entries?

  • Konstantinos Xenos

    I'll start by saying, backup backup backup, as every system/setup is different.

    But to the matter at hand basically 'yes' you can delete the entries with "wphb_minify_group" post_type. These entries keep the links to your assets minified versions that you see linked on your HTML.

    By removing them in a normal process you'll see 2 things happening:

    Refresh page 1: your website will load just fine but using your original assets. This will trigger Hummingbird again to re-minify and concatenate the assets depending on your settings.

    Refresh page number 2: You'll see the new minified assets again.

    This might be a good way actually to see if your database will result again having plentiful of entries or just the ones needed, and might result on an error ( if there's an issue ) that could give a lead. So I'd advice as well to clean up your debug.log and keep it handy as well just in case anything related comes up.

    Hope this helps to clear things a bit as well!

    Regards,
    Konstantinos

  • jnkfrancis

    Ok so I was able to clear the table of all the hummingbird entries and the asset optimization page opened right up. That was apparently the source of the problem and just so you know it turned out that there were over 53,000 hummingbird entries. That is not a typo 53,000 entries so something obviously went wrong. I will update the compression settings as you have advised and see if it improves my other errors.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.