Stop multisite users from seeing super admin dashbaord items

I have a multisite and my non super admins can access some of my super admin dashboard items from the 'My Site' admin button on their back end.

Any way to stop them from seeing any of super-admin dashboard stuff?
or even seeing the dashboard at all?

Kindly,

Paul

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Paul!

The top site in the list there is your primary site, not your NetworkAdmin dashboard, your subsite admins can't access the Network Admin, only those with Super Admin roles can. It looks like your subsite admins have at least Editor privileges on your primary site, if not Admin. How were those user accounts created?

Regardless, there are a few tools we can use to keep your subsite admins only admining on their own sites.

1. Multisite User Manager https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-user-management/screenshots/ will allow you to set a default role for users on each of your sites.
    2. Easy Blogging https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/easy-blogging/ and Ultimate Branding https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/ultimate-branding/ (both our plugins) will let you modify the wp-admin area for your subsite admins (Easy Blogging) and edit who sees what in the admin bar (Ultimate Branding.)

I think between these three tools, you can easily prevent your subsite admins from seeing anything you don't want them to see.

Hope this helps!

• Paul
    • The Crimson Coder

@Michelle Shull

Multisite User Management?
    This plugin allows everyone under the same role to access everyone's site under that role. This means, everyone on my multisite will be able to access everyone else's site and edit it as if they were administrator to that site.

I do not understand how this is a good thing for multisite users or maybe I am using it wrong. Which I do not think is the case, considering the simplicity of options available on this plugin.

Can you please help me understand why this could be a solution for me. I might just be missing something.

Kindly,

Paul

• Paul
    • The Crimson Coder

Anyone know what's wrong with my multisite setup. It lets subsite admins access some of my primary site admin panel like adding a new page - although the page says: 'submit for review'. They shouldn't be able to see anything at all from the main site. They seem to be able to use My Sites from top left admin bar and access primary site items.

Any support for this?

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Paul!

Multisite user management does not grant admin roles to every site in the network, it allows you to give any default role on any site, so if you'd like all new members to only be subscribers on your primary site, you can set this up.

Are you using any plugins to help set up membership? Did you make any changes to Network Settings in your Network Admin relating to the default user role at signup? From what you describe here, you're not using a standard multisite setup, so I'm hoping to determine what changes you may have made to see this result.

Have you looked at the other two plugins I shared, which let you customize the admin area?

• Paul
    • The Crimson Coder

@Michelle Shull

I get it now. I first set up my multisite with S2Membership - then found WPMUDEV membership - but when Membership2 came out, it killed my ability to do what I needed to do. So I went back to wooCommerce, which I had tried before.

I am using WooCommerce Membership plugin. It says the members are set up under subscriber but it is allowing them to do things they should not be able to do. I guess this is the case.

I do not know how to fix this. I have the other two plugins. Easy blogging still allows my sites list to show and Ultimate Branding, I have not worked out a way to fix this issue with.

I am not sure what is wrong. The users do not see all primary site plugins or options but it still allows them to see a few. I have gotten it cut back to just add new post using Adminimize Plugin, but it still shows the primary site in the list, and dashboard with the minimum items.

I'm lost at this point.

Kindly,

Paul

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey Paul!

I suspect what's happening is that some of the user capabilities you added with S2Membership may still be in effect. There's a tool that can help here, it's very old and hasn't been updated in a while, but it's working on all my test sites. https://wordpress.org/plugins/clean-options/ Before you start it, take a backup of your database, just in case, but you shouldn't need it.

It will find tables left in your database by plugins you've deleted, I suspect once you clear the S2 tables, you'll be in good shape again.

Let me know if it works for you!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.