Stop users accessing a plan multiple times

Hi There,

I would like to know if it is possible to stop a user from accessing a plan multiple times. So for instance if I set up a plan that is free for 1 week, is it possible to allow a user only to subscribe to this plan for a single week, based on their E-Mail address?

Also, I have not been able to test the trial memberships properly as yet as users are not being sent through to the payment pages on signup which I understand is a known bug. Are users restricted from accessing these trials on multiple occasions, for obvious reasons!
And, any update on the bug in this addon being fixed?

Many Thanks
Paul

• Milan

Hello @Paul,

I hope you are having a good day and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

Two question in one ticket, no issue. :wink: Let's break them to bits to its easier for me and you to understand. :slight_smile:

I would like to know if it is possible to stop a user from accessing a plan multiple times. So for instance if I set up a plan that is free for 1 week, is it possible to allow a user only to subscribe to this plan for a single week, based on their E-Mail address?

I must admin I am bit confused here. What I am able to grasp from above question is that you want to set up membership and offer trial to user. However you are thinking that once user subscribe to your membership for trial, same email address he has used to subscribe may be used in future to register trail for that membership again. Right ?

If this is your concern then I am pretty sure same email address can't be used again to register oneself's for trial again. However I've created one dummy membership to be sure trial addon is working as it should and set trial to 1 day( minimum amount I can set I guess ). I will get back to you with my results while you explain me bit more if I went off topic. :slight_smile:

I have not been able to test the trial memberships properly as yet as users are not being sent through to the payment pages on signup which I understand is a known bug.

Dear member I am able to pay payment through stripe payment gateway. Can you explain this a bit more to me, if you can include steps then its great if not then little bit more explanation will be awesome.

Furthermore if you can then , Will you please grant me support staff access so that I can check in depth regarding your issue ?. You can grant me support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Thanks & Kind Regards,
    Milan Savaliya.

• Paul

Milan,

You pretty much understood this correctly.

Let me expand a little however.

I am doing a very similar thing for testing purposes. I have a monthly plan set up with a 1 day trial to test the trial process. However as discussed in a previous ticket (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-am-using-membership-2-pro-with-the-trial-period-add-on#post-1017719) there is a problem with this in that it is skipping the payment gateway, which in my case is PayPal. So I end up with a user created who appears to have gone through the payment process but hasn't. Memberships created under this plan also just seem to get stuck on 'Trial'. After the expiry date, they neither get moved to Expired, or Active. On top of this - I don't seem to be able to change the account status manually which may be another issue?? You can see I have a couple of users in this situation (mail, accounts).

Hence - I am unable to test the process fully.

In an attempt to find a workaround (as the above is a pretty major sticking point for me because essentially the software does not work as described and is unusable) I have been looking at the options of creating a free membership, one that does not require payment, that on expiry would move on to a paid membership plan and request the user for payment. However I have found that a user can just keep re-subscribing to the free plan. Which means this is not going to work. (Please note this is a separate Plan - not a trial based plan.)

Happy to grant you access and have done so. All users on the system are test users.

Essentially I need a way to offer trial periods that works :slight_smile:

Thanks
    Paul

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Paul,

I hope you're well today!

I took a look at your other thread and can see it was reported along other reports to the developers. This was around Jan 20. It seems that the current Membership 2 Pro version carries a fix for that trial payment issues and in case a trial ends, the payment should not be skipped any longer.

That said, I understand that you weren't yet notified that the fix was applied so you may have not had a chance to test it. Could you please check it on your setup (I can see that you've updated the plugin) and confirm whether the fix is working for you or not?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Paul

Hi Adam,

I have just tested this on the domain http://www.multiscreenpc.co.uk which I believe is completely up to date with the latest Membership 2 version.

I have created a plan called 1 day trial test. However when I join this plan I am just redirected back to the site without visiting the PayPal pages. So it does not look to me like the fix is applied yet?
    Am I missing something here?

Thanks
    Paul

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Paul,

Apologies for the delay here.

I have tested your site and as you mentioned I was left on site after finishing subscription, and this is actually default M2 behaviour as the user is asked for payment details after trial has ended.
    The issue was before the update that link in invoice was not working, but I checked this on your site after setting my test account status to Trial Expired and I was redirected properly to PayPal.

We had few requests for asking for payment details on signup and our developers are considering adding this as on/off option so you can choose if you want to ask for payment details on signup or after trial has ended.

Hope this clears things up a bit and let me know if I missed anything.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.