Storage for multisite users

Hi! I'm working on profile creation here, and I'm wondering... as many new people probably do... about the implications of certain storage allotments on a server. It's become apparent that I will need a *VPN. But even allowing 10mb's of storage per user (via Pro Sites) could spell disaster, if the number of subscribers runs into the thousands.

How would I be able to offer, say, 1gig of space, which seems astronomical on my current plan of **20gigs of storage?
What are common amounts of storage that can realistically be allotted by a site just spreadin' it's wings?

Thank you in advance!

*, ** - Note, that I haven't yet moved to a VPN. However, the plans offered by Siteground (my current host) seem to be minuscule compared to, say, 1,000-subscribers, all wanting 1gig of storage per.

• James Morris

Hello Fox Wilde,

I hope you are well today.

I'm going to assume this relates to the artist/fan network site you are wanting to build. If that is the case, then it really depends on what type of artists you will be hosting. If they are music artists, you could leverage many of the third-party mp3 hosting services to reduce the amount of storage needed for your server. You would need to put up some instructional pages for your artists explaining how to do so, but this is a rather simple matter.

However, if you are wanting to grant access to files only to logged in members, this gets a bit more complicated. In that situation you will definitely want to allocate a significant amount of space to your artists. 1GB would seem reasonable. You'll be hard pressed to find a VPS that will support that level of space when you're considering a large number of artists. You'll want to look into a scalable cloud platform.

You mentioned you are on SiteGround. Looking at their Cloud services https://www.siteground.com/cloud-hosting.htm they do offer Auto-Scalable Resources, which is ideal for your situation as more resources can be automatically provisioned as needed.

On a regular multisite network where your members will not be uploading very large files, such as mp3 files and videos, then 250MB would be plenty space for most users who just want to publish the occasional photo. For those who want to publish more, you would need to upgrade their account, of course.

This, of course, is all assuming that your subsites will only be for your artists. Fans do not need to have space allocated to them. However, if you allow uploads of images by fans, you will need to take that in account when deciding how much space to allocate.

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.