Strange behavior with Pro Sites

I had three issues this week with Pro Sites, both of which have baffled me.

One my members received the expiration email from the system. The email I'm referring to is this one:

Unfortunately the Pro status for your site SITENAME (SITEURL) has lapsed.

You can renew your Pro Site status here:
CHECKOUTURL

If you're having billing problems please contact us for help:
http://mysite.com/contact-us/

Looking forward to having you back as a valued member!

The trouble is, the site in question is a permanently upgraded one that I did myself. When I check the status of the site, it looks unchanged and the site is still showing as a Pro Site. Any idea what is going on here and should I worry?

Second, a user attempted to upgrade a site and received the following message from PayPal:
"At this time, we are unable to process your request. Please return to The Network and try another option"

As far as I know, the upgrades have been working. This is the first tiem I've heard about this, but the PayPal error really doesn't tell me much. There have been no changes that I can think of.

Lastly, for some reason, my statistics page is blank. Each of the modules is reading, "No data available yet". Unfortunately, I haven't looked at it in a while, so I don't know how long its been that way, I only just discovered it when I started investigating these other issues.

Any thoughts?

• aecnu

Greetings Saunt Valerian,

Sorry to see that you are having issues with your WordPress installation and the Pro Sites plugin

Lastly, for some reason, my statistics page is blank. Each of the modules is reading, "No data available yet". Unfortunately, I haven't looked at it in a while, so I don't know how long its been that way, I only just discovered it when I started investigating these other issues.

This one has been reported more then just by you in the last week or so though I admit I have yet to figure out this behavior to date and if it is indeed an issue to report to the lead developer.

Update: I rolled back my installation to the previous version - version 3.3.4 - and the statistics data remained the same - No data available yet - so I cannot confirm nor deny what we see there as accurate.

When I check the status of the site, it looks unchanged and the site is still showing as a Pro Site. Any idea what is going on here and should I worry?

This we need to keep an eye on if it is recurring, but I would not be worried about it in any event since everything seems unchanged and the site is still functional.

Second, a user attempted to upgrade a site and received the following message from PayPal:
    "At this time, we are unable to process your request. Please return to The Network and try another option"

I tested this which I consider to be an item of great importance unlike the email item and found I could not replicate the issue in the previous nor the current version.

It is possible that PayPal was having an issue at that very moment. Have you tried upgrading one yourself? I manually added a site and then went through the upgrade to test.

Please advise on the PayPal item, have your clients received anymore emails?, and I will try to dig in some more regarding the statistics.

UPDATE: I got with the lead developer and he indicated that sometimes it takes a month for these statistics to start to build - checkouts, cancellations, modifications, upgrades, 1/3/12 month totals, ratios, etc

Which brings me to the million dollar question, how mature is your installation?

Is it a month or so old or much older?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Saunt Valerian

Joe,

thanks for the quick response and the the testing you did. Million in dollar answer is that this installation is very mature. I've been using pro-sites since before it was even called pro-sites. This installation of it goes back maybe 12 months or more. I've been using it on this install for ages.

The last time I checked things, the stats were fine. I did recently upgrade to the new post indexer, and that was the most recent major plugin upgrade I did. But it comes back me not checking the stats in at least two months though.

On the other issue, I'll run a PayPal test checkout like you mentioned to see if I can recreate the issue.

• aecnu

Thank you for the additional input and I think I will bring these facts to the lead developer considering it appears that too many folks and a seasoned developer like yourself with a mature installation is showing no data and giving the "No data available yet" message.

By the way - it used to be called supporter prior to a year ago or so as I recall :slight_smile:

I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Aaron

For the expiration email, when you check the log for that site does it say "Pro status revoked" or something like that? When that hook is fired it should say that. Also you'll want to configure that email message.

Regarding paypal, i've seen that message before and it was when someone with a German paypal account tried to checkout. For legal reasons Paypal doesn't support subsctiptions in Germany, they would have to use a credit card. It also could have been just a temporary paypal outage I guess.

For stats, that's interesting. There are 2 possibilities, basically the page always says no data, then a JS function overrides that and inserts the graphs. So it could be a JS error or conflict preventing it from building the graphs. Also they don't support older versions of IE browser. So look for js errors.

Additionally, if there is not enough data to build the graphs without error then it will not include the js at all. You can check the pro sites stats tables for data being recorded for that.

• Saunt Valerian

@aaron - reference the revoked email being sent, they guy got another one about two days ago. There is nothing in the log for that site about the status being revoked. The site itself was given a permanent upgrade back in 2011. Even though the email is being sent, the status of the site remains unchanged and the plugin reports it correctly.

This evening I did go through the process of manually revoking the status and then renewing the permanent upgrade. We'll see if that makes a difference.

• aecnu

Thank you for the additional input which is certainly appreciated.

Digging further in to the statistics item I find that when checking the page using the Chrome console (control+shift+J) I get a single error as indicated below:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'shift' of null all.js:57

Can you confirm or replicate this error on your WordPress installation? Or do you get different or more?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Great catch! To find out if there is a conflict one would want to do standard troubleshooting protocol.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven/Twelve theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.