Strange Errors

Hey,

On the backend of my site I see the authors. When I click on one, however, it says 'no posts'... Also, my author.php is returning a 404.

I've taken over someone else's theme so there are all kinds of problems with it but this seems like a strange one.

Any suggestions?

I've disabled all plugins as a test but the result is the same.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey tbennett04.

So there are posts on the front end then?

does the authors.php exist?

404s are usually permalink or htaccess issues (one in the same I suppose). So please check your htaccess file is set up right, are you on single site or multisite?

What version of WP?

Try renaming your /plugins/ folder and testing again to ensure everything is turned off. If you run a multisite then also rename your /mu-plugins/ to turn those off.

Also try with the default Twenty Eleven theme to ensure there is not a theme issue.

And finally, are there any errors in your servers error_log file?

Thanks.

• tbennett04
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

The posts are showing but the author.php page (which exists), results in 404. No posts showing.

However - I should note that my posts have a custom taxonomy called Author on them (this theme...).

.htaccess and perms look great.

I am behind , 3.3.1. its not an upgrade issue however.

Swapped themes and renamed the plugins to no avail. Authors ID seem to be showing up in the database so I'm not sure if it could have to do with this taxonomy... or some kind of import problem...?

• tbennett04
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

No avail. When I am in the posts and click on a seemingly working author it says "no posts", suggesting something deeper?

Also, when I show author in the 'screen options' it is now thinking its the new taxonomy I made, where old author is not there, so I'm assuming that has something to do with that.

Perhaps something got crossed in the database but hopefully its simple....

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Not sure how something would get crossed in the database to check this.

Its hard to know for sure without seeing what is happening there.

You fancy shooting me some FTP details, full site admin/network admin control? cPanel if you use it so I can take a peek at the DB as well.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

I'm off line soon, so it will be later today or tomorrow when I get to your mail. But please mark it to my attention and also include a link to this thread so I can be sure what it refers to.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.