Strangers can't see register page, except for old basic one

I've been trying to do this for over an hour, so finally given in and asking for help :slight_frown:

When I installed membership, it seemed to create another page - register-2

I've been struggling to get strangers to view the register page, they just get a protected content message, so I've been playing and finally managed to get what you see at Link removed at members request to show. If I try to use register-2, I just get protected content message.

What I really want on my register page is the subscription options listed on Link removed at members request with a bit of tweaking (I want free membership at the top and the social login icons above everything, in case people just want free membership through that)

The only way i've managed to get co.uk/register to show without being protected is by membership>options>member pages and then setting both the registrations page and subscription page to the /register page. If i try to do the same with /register-2 i just get the protected page message again.

sorry if im repeating myself here, just trying to explain as well as i can :slight_smile:

• Alexander

Hey @Sally,

It's likely that you're somehow protecting the registration from the access level you have setup for "guest access

From "Membership -> Options -> Membership Pages" you can choose exactly which page to use for registration. If you have a register-2 page, it's likely that you created an additional page from here. You can click the "edit" page link to visit the actual page, then you can edit the slug if needed.

You'll want to make sure that you have an access level setup for visitors, and that it's protection rules does not prohibit access to your registration page. To do this, just create a new access level, then from "Membership options -> General" set it to the "stranger settings"

Best regards,

• Sally

Hi Alexander

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've been through all these settings, I've tried changing the registration page, I've tried all variations of using the original registration page for for the register option/the number 2 version, alongside the 1st reg page for subscription page and 2nd.

I've looked through the access permissions for stranger again and again and I can't see anything wrong, and I do have the general settings set to stranger for visitors and free membership for user registration.

I'm completely stumped. I really can't think of anything I've not already tried :slight_frown:

• Sally

I've just reactivated grant access to my wordpress site for anyone who is able to look into this for me asap. I've just spent another 2 hours trying to get it to work. For some reason membership is not allowing any strangers access to register-2.

For some other reason even if I go with the original register page, the shortcode to get the subscription options to show on there does nothing. For cleanliness, I'd ideally like the shortcode to work on original register page, but I'd also like to know what the problem is with register-2 because if I get this problem again with another section it will help to know what was wrong.

Please can someone help me asap.

Thanks

Sally

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Sally,

Hope you're well today, I've taken a look here and there were/are a few issues.

No payment gateway was active, for now I've activated the free subscriptions gateway but please feel free to change that as required :slight_smile:

Then you were setting a default free subscription which was conflicting with the stranger level so I've disabled the automatic adding of that subscription.

A user can now sign up from /register as they should be able to :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Sally

Thanks Jack

When you say you've disabled the default free subscription, do you mean on the 'general settings' page under 'user registration'? Or somewhere else? I can't seem to find where it's changed.

I do need to be able to have free members though, for the general dog owners who want to use the forums and reply to directory listings etc. Then I also need the basic and advanced business memberships for businesses to use. Will this still be possible?

I've just set up my paypal account and activated paypal express gateway too, then tried to test to see what would happen when i tried to register a new business user, but nothing happens, you fill in the screen and submit, expecting a paypal notice to show, but nothing does, it just goes back to the same registration screen with the filled in password data now missing. Am I missing something obvious?

Sorry I know I must sound really stupid to be struggling so much with this :slight_frown:

Thanks for your help

Sally

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Sally,

When you say you've disabled the default free subscription, do you mean on the 'general settings' page under 'user registration'? Or somewhere else? I can't seem to find where it's changed.

Your 100% correct, sorry should have been clearer on that, under membership > options > general, you'll see the default subscription is now none.

I do need to be able to have free members though, for the general dog owners who want to use the forums and reply to directory listings etc. Then I also need the basic and advanced business memberships for businesses to use. Will this still be possible?

Yep, they can still sign up for a free subscription without any problems :slight_smile:

I've just set up my paypal account and activated paypal express gateway too, then tried to test to see what would happen when i tried to register a new business user, but nothing happens, you fill in the screen and submit, expecting a paypal notice to show, but nothing does, it just goes back to the same registration screen with the filled in password data now missing. Am I missing something obvious?

Sorry I know I must sound really stupid to be struggling so much with this :slight_frown:

No worries at all, I'm here to help :slight_smile: You had set the default subscription again which causes a conflict, I've disabled that again and it should work now :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack

• Alexander

Hi @Sally,

You should be able to delete the /register-2 page now to prevent any confusion. I just tried signing up there by accident (from your link in the post above) and it wasn't working.

Works great to signup from /register though.

The problem is, the menu item is still linking to the old one (register-2)

I haven't been able to get to a payment screen. Can you first delete the "register-2" page, then go to "Membership -> Options -> Membership Pages" and ensure the normal register page is selected there?

I see our login is still active. If you'd like I can go ahead and take care of that for you as well.

Best regards,

• Sally

Hi Alexander

Thanks for looking at that.

Only the register-2 page appears to display the paid membership options, despite /register having the shortcode on there to display the options. So if I delete register-2, I then have no proper registration page, only the basic one as seen at /register

This problem of shortcodes not appearing to do anything when added seems to be a sitewide thing. Please see my other post at https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/adding-widgets-to-centre-of-buddypress-fun which I'm still having problems with.

You're welcome to go into my site and change anything which needs changing to get it all up and running properly :slight_smile:

Thanks

Sally

• Sally

Thanks Jack

Sorry to be a pain, but on the /register page, how can I make it as easy as possible for people who are just dog owners (not businesses) to register a free account, without it looking like they have to go through paypal to do that?

Maybe add the basic registration form above the subscription form, or just get rid of the subscription form on that page and only have the basic one, with a clear link to the business registration page which I set up at /register-2 while I was waiting for an answer on here...

Sorry to confuse things!

Thanks again

Sally

• Sally

I've gone ahead and tried to sort this, very short on time to get the site set up so had to press ahead somehow.

So now I have the /register page set back up with buddypress login (I also have text on the /register page, but it doesn't show up on the front end, no idea why?)

I have the /register-2 page set up as my business subscription upgrade login. I hope I'm doing this correctly?

On /register-2, I can't seem to create a bit of distance between the 'In order to list your business on Thehouseofdog.co.uk, you will need to set up a business account subscription. You can do so here, but you will first need to register for a basic user account here.' sentance and the title 'Your subscriptions', I've tried leaving spaces below but it's still the same. Am i doing something wrong here?

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.