Streamlining pages designed with upfront

I'm making a knowledge base website with how-to's, articles, Q&A and a blog for the growing Permaculture community in China.
I'm planning to use upfront for the web design, then remove the bloat through manual streamlining once the design work is done. Can I simply use chrome's audit tool to guide me through finding and removing bloat? How practical is this? What are the basic steps to streamlining a page designed with upfront, once the design process is complete? I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into before I dive in with upfront.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thank you for your question.

Please don't make the whole text bold in the post posted in this support forum as it becomes unreadable. Use bold text only to emphasize on any particular word or sentence. I have removed the boldness from your post.

Can I simply use chrome's audit tool to guide me through finding and removing bloat? How practical is this?

Could you please tell me specifically what you are referring as removing bloat?

Please share screenshot of it if you can.

What are the basic steps to streamlining a page designed with upfront, once the design process is complete?

The upfront provides Drag and Drop editor so you can design a page using upfront easily as described on the following pages.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/tag/upfront/

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Thomas

Thanks for that, but it didn't really help or answer my question.

Sorry about the first post, it was from an iphone and the interface was rather buggy. It defaulted to bold when I copied and pasted the text. My bad.

When I clicked on my new out of the box Upfront site and 'inspect' with google chrome, I did a simple audit of the site and saw 99% of the downloaded code was unused, that's thousands of lines of code loading without any particular use to the page. I'm no developer, but I'm pretty sure most would call that bloat and point to it as a reason NOT to use such a design tool. I was attempting to get a perspective on how I could minimize such bloat, for example designing the site with Upfront but then exporting this code and cutting out all the things that aren't being used.

I understand the staff is interested in defending their products to the point of denial, but I would think such a way of using the design tools and streamlining the output could be a good alternative for making streamlined websites. Eventually, such streamlining could even be automated into Upfront, if I'm not mistaken.

However, as a newbie, I would appreciate input from anyone who knows about such things. Would I be able to do such a thing myself? Is it worth the trouble? etc etc

Thanks
    Thomas

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again,

Just going through feedback left on our guys here, I wanted to jump back on this ticket to quickly clarify a couple of things. I know Ash did as well, just wanna be sure we're crystal. :slight_smile:

The Upfront editor and all of its code only loads whilst you're in the editor mode, so when logged out and viewing the site as a guest or normal member, you shouldn't see that "bloat" as you call it. The we have is different because we're trying to load you into the user experience of editing the site upfront.

If there are elements, area's of the site you don't need, you can edit those through the Upfront editor.

That said, we know there are areas we need to improve upon, and we're constantly working towards various speed optimisations.

Please do let us know if you have any further questions at all, we'll be more than happy to assist. :slight_smile:

• Thomas

Okay, thanks for pointing that out. That's correct, when I log out I see only 78% of the downloaded css is unused, and it doesn't download any sources of css that are completely useless. Much better. Only 2000 lines of unused code.

However, I've still experienced incredibly slow load times on all devices here in China, despite the site being hosted locally and even when using a VPN.

I have found a major problem with the site attempting to load google fonts and maps, both unavailable in China without a VPN. I found this article which explains a fix for a normal wordpress install, but will post a new thread on this topic with Upfront if I choose to continue down this road.

Anyway, as streamlining, do you mean, to download the site and using as a static site?

Yes, something like this, I guess. Is this possible? Reasonable?

• Ash

Hello @Thomas

I hope you are well today.

Yes, something like this, I guess. Is this possible? Reasonable?

You can try HTTrack website copier software, that copies a site and gives you a html version of that site. I didn't use it in last three years though, but I heard it's still good.
    https://www.httrack.com/

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.