Stripe Failed Payment, Still User Got Pro Sites Access

For my subsite ID 808 on usingessentialoils.com, user had a Stripe Failed Payment. But the user still got Pro Site access for 3 months. Pro Sites access should be revoked/not given as the payment failed.

Can you please check? Login details provided over chat.

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello antKat,

I hope you are doing fine today. I tried to login to your website using the credentials you shared with my colleague but unfortunately the WordPress login did not work. So, I was wondering if you changed your password because you n longer need this or just for security.

In order for us to be able to help you with this issue, we need to access your WordPress dashboard on the site you need help with. If you still need help with this please update us with the correct login details or grant support access from the support page "My Sites > network Admin > WPMU DEV > Support", click "GRANT SUPPORT ACCESS" button.

If you prefer to update the login details, you can either update the current one and let us know on this ticket or send it to me via our secure contact form, in the contact page choose "I have a different question" then

Subject type "Attn: Lindeni Mahlalela",
    in the Message box include:
    - WordPress login details (username and password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - cPanel login is working but you may include it if you changed password (url, username and password)

Once we have access to your website dashboard and you confirm that you still need help then we will continue to do the troubleshooting.

Have a nice day.
    Mahlamusa

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello antKat,

I hope you are doing great today. Thank you for reporting this today and thank you for your patience. I have looked into your network and I have seen that the blog ID you mentioned has an active subscription of "Using Essential Oils Pro Business".

I have checked the sequence of executed web hooks in the logs and then checked the code that manages the web hook and have found that it does not deactivate the blog when the payment have failed. The code only extends the subscription when these web hooks are received:

invoice.payment_succeeded
    customer.subscription.created
    customer.subscription.updated

It does not seem to do anything besides logging the event when payment is failed. So when the invoice is paid or subscription created/updated Pro Sites checks and update the blog/website to make it active or extend its period. I guess this is because Stripe will attempt to process the payment several times after the first failed attempt.

As I can see on your network, the payment for this blog was received 3 days after the first try, which.

2017-07-20 11:53:40 am	Payment receipt email sent to <user>@gmail.com
    2017-07-20 11:53:38 am	Pro Site status expiration extended until 10/17/2017.
    2017-07-20 11:53:29 am	Stripe webhook "invoice.updated" received: Customer ID: cus_AUaNHOFKKb7IVn
    2017-07-17 11:53:04 am	Payment failed email sent to <user>@gmail.com

This might be the main purpose for not blocking the blog after failed payment.

If you prefer to block access to the blogs when payment has failed then you should consider the "Pay To Blog" module available in setting. I have seen this is already active on your website, I am not sure if it was active all along or you recently activated it after having the issue. If it was already active but member could still access the website then it might be because of an already reported bug. If this is the case, then it might be a possible bug worth investigating.

Please confirm if the Pay To Blog module was active when this issue occurred or whether you activated it afterwards.

I am waiting for your reply.

Have nice day.
    Mahlamusa

• antKat

Hi Mahlamusa,
    The Pay to Blog module has been active since we started this network over 3 years ago. Personally, I think it would be a nice feature to provide a grace period after notification that a payment failed but I don't think this is the way the current program functions.

Although this should be investigated, my biggest issue with ProSites is double extending periods with every single payment. I have another support ticket out on this issue as well.

• Lindeni Mahlalela

Hello antKat,

Thank you for the feedback. I have checked Pay To Blog settings on your site and then visited a few expired or unpaid blogs on your network and it seems Pay To Blog is working as it should.

Personally, I think it would be a nice feature to provide a grace period after notification that a payment failed but I don't think this is the way the current program functions.

Yes, I think this would be a nice feature too. Right now the plugin is set to keep the site active and to retry payment until it is paid. Unfortunately, the number of retries and the frequency is set in th payment gateway (Stripe/PayPal depending on which one you use). If the gateway retries several time and the payment still fails then the gateway will cancel the subscription in its system and then send a web hook to your site to tell Pro Sites that the subscription has been cancelled, in which case Pro Sites will also cancel in its system and downgrade the blog as necessary. If I understand clearly what you mean by grace period, I think this does achieve that. So users are given a chance to settle their account before their blog/sites get downgraded or blocked.

Although this should be investigated, my biggest issue with ProSites is double extending periods with every single payment. I have another support ticket out on this issue as well.

I have seen the thread you opened for this issue and it seems that my colleague Joel has requested information from you and asked you to confirm if you still need help. As I can see that you still need help with that issue then please respond to Joel on that thread so he can help you.

I hope this helps but please let me know if I have missed something and let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Have a nice day
    Mahlamusa

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.