Stripe settings switched to test mode after updating the plugin

When I update Pro Site must I always change the secret key and live key?
I found that in Stripe all transaction of the last day failed and also saw that the secret key was changed. Is that normal?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Sarah

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The Stripe gateway is using a separate pair of keys for live and test mode. I checked the chat but I'm still not quite sure: did you actually have to replace the keys in Pro Sites -> Payment Gateways -> Stripe configuration or only change "Stripe Mode" from "No SSL (testing)" to "Force SSL (live site)"?

If you had to change keys (the test keys start with "sk_test_" and "pk_test_") it would mean that they were either manually replaced with test keys before (is there anyone else who does have/did have access to your site if it's not you who did that?) or there would be some unexpected caching or even backup restoration issue.

What I mean is that if live keys were set, Pro Sites doesn't have that kind of access to your Stripe account that would even let it automatically fetch test keys from there and replace them. There's no way the plugin could connect and login into your Stripe account, go to the developers section there, read the keys and put them in it's own config. Therefore, if these keys were not manually set, there could be a possibility that they were used before for some testing and upon update either some backup was restored or some "stubborn" (usually server-side) cache kicked in.

As for that other case (only "Stripe Mode" changed) - the most recent Pro Sites update brought some updates related to Strip libraries too so theoretically that could be possible in some cases but I just tested this and wasn't able to replicate it. The settings stayed as they were upon update, regardless whether I had live or testing mode set. Maybe then this is related to the version you have updated from?

Did you update from the previous 3.6 to most recent 3.6.1 release or was that update between some other versions (if so, which versions were they)?

Let me know, please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.