Struggling with Multisite DNS

I’m setting one up multisite (subddomain based) – the domain registrar said I’ve done it correctly but it’s not working. All subsites are giving:

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

– wildcard was already created;

– .htaccess have the correct rules;

– plugin conflict already made;

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello Graham

I hope you are well today.

I just logged in and did some quick checking. Looks like the site is functioning correctly and even the CRM subdomain is working.

You were probably seeing these issues due to DNS propagation times (TTL). DNS is not an immediate protocol/service. There is a TTL value (Time To Live) that specifies how long DNS updates. Depending on the configuration of your DNS server, this could be seconds or days. Generally speaking, DNS usually updates and fully propagates through the Internet within 72hrs. Usually much faster, but not always.

The easiest way to test whether Wildcard DNS records work is to pick any arbitrary subdomain name, like “test” and just append it to your domain name. Like: test.mydomain.co.uk. If it resolves and redirects to your signup page, you’re good to go. :slight_smile:

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We’ll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.