Studio-child theme help

Hey guys-
I did some updates today and I believe they jacked the styling in my studio-child theme. I have deleted both studio and child, reinstalled studio, but now for the life of me can't remember how to make a child theme. I tried checking out Tammies vid on buddydress, but it's not working.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Follow those instructions to set your CSS up is what that means you don't use @imports like you have before in style.css.

If you are using BuddyPress the new theme will not work correctly on an older version - please update to BuddyPress 1.5.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

We have two threads dealing with the same issue now for you which is getting unfortunately a little confusing, can we stick to one please? As said in other thread there never as a default.css it is just a mechanism of using custom styles.

If you have issues follow my instructions in the thread about enqueuing not using import values in CSS - we have that as a third thread and things really are getting fragmented.

I am happy to help you and understand panic from issues but it needs to be thought about and not split over so many threads so we can get a solution without confusion.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

would love to stick with one if I could get consistent help Tammie. How confusing could 2 threads be with lousy support?

If you have issues follow my instructions in the thread about enqueuing not using import values in CSS -
    You call this instruction? https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/important-buddypress-15-theme-updates. Can you kindly show me where?

I pay a good chunk of money I do not have each and every month to be treated second rate. Geez Tammie, I have worked my guts out and have paid premium for the past 8 months and your supporters have been far more valuable and helpful.

I am a bit fed up with the reprimands. I am a novice and never claimed to be more. You shouldn't be interacting with customers if you don't know how to treat them!

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@Tutuology: Please lets stick to one thread I've responded to the other one. Lets get it resolved there.

I never reprimanded I just pointed out the confusion is happening for me with several threads. I always just like everyone want to make sure they get the best treatment and having 3 threads covering the same topic never does that. I just like everyone who works here 100% respect and value customers that should be apparent from the work we do.

My entire point was that it leads to frustration and issues which is being sadly proven so I do really want to get a resolution by just having one thread. I know I can't follow 2-3 similar threads myself and do a good job in all so never expect anyone else to.

As I've said in the other post:

First up decide if you are going to use the new child or the old child

If using new child then simply copy from themes/ the child BUT make sure you take a backup.

Then you need to uncomment out all lines ie; remove a /* and */ in functions.php

Then you should have the child working but of course without your styling.

Take your styling from your child and put in the 'new' child themes child.css file.

If you are using your child then just copy over into your functions OR copy entire functions.php over if you don't have one and uncomment.

I totally understand you feel frustrated but please lets keep this civil as I have and will always help. I have personally helped you several times (as I am happy to and as I am here to) so I think to claim I haven't is a little taking this too far. As I requested, please lets keep this civil and get a resolution so we can move on. I'm sure you want that.

If possible can you please respond to the other thread as keeping 2 areas open will only lead to repetition and / or confusion - that is again not a reprimand in me saying it I'm trying to give you a good level of support not confuse myself or anyone else.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

<?php
    // uncomment these functions if you want to use child theme styles and it will automatically pick up the styles you put in _inc/css/child.css
    /*function studio_enqueue_styles(){
    $version = '4';
    wp_enqueue_style( 'studio-buddypress', get_template_directory_uri() . '/_inc/css/studio-buddypress.css', array(, $version );
    wp_enqueue_style( 'studio', get_template_directory_uri() . '/_inc/css/studio.css', array(), $version );
    wp_enqueue_style( 'studio-colours', get_template_directory_uri() . '/_inc/css/studio-colours.css', array('studio'), $version );
    }

function studio_themeoptions_output(){
    $get_current_scheme = get_option('dev_studio_custom_style');
    if($get_current_scheme == 'default.css') {
    print "<style type='text/css' media='screen'>";
    include (get_template_directory() . '/library/options/theme-options.php');
    print "</style>";
    }
    if (($get_current_scheme == "") || ($get_current_scheme == 'blue.css')) { ?>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/library/styles/blue.css" type="text/css" media="all" />
    <?php
    } else { ?>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php echo get_template_directory_uri(); ?>/library/styles/<?php echo $get_current_scheme; ?>" type="text/css" media="all" />
    <?php }
    ?>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php echo get_stylesheet_directory_uri(); ?>/_inc/css/child.css" type="text/css" media="all" />
    <?php
    }
    */
    ?>

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

I think the issue is you've removed a // not all the /*. So, if you can remove the following please:

// uncomment these functions if you want to use child theme styles and it will automatically pick up the styles you put in _inc/css/child.css
    /*

and

*/

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

I've done this numerous times. This is how it reads having removed the // and the /* and */:<?php
    function studio_enqueue_styles(){
    $version = '4';
    wp_enqueue_style( 'studio-buddypress', get_template_directory_uri() . '/_inc/css/studio-buddypress.css', array(, $version );
    wp_enqueue_style( 'studio', get_template_directory_uri() . '/_inc/css/studio.css', array(), $version );
    wp_enqueue_style( 'studio-colours', get_template_directory_uri() . '/_inc/css/studio-colours.css', array('studio'), $version );
    }

function studio_themeoptions_output(){
    $get_current_scheme = get_option('dev_studio_custom_style');
    if($get_current_scheme == 'default.css') {
    print "<style type='text/css' media='screen'>";
    include (get_template_directory() . '/library/options/theme-options.php');
    print "</style>";
    }
    if (($get_current_scheme == "") || ($get_current_scheme == 'blue.css')) { ?>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/library/styles/blue.css" type="text/css" media="all" />
    <?php
    } else { ?>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php echo get_template_directory_uri(); ?>/library/styles/<?php echo $get_current_scheme; ?>" type="text/css" media="all" />
    <?php }
    ?>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php echo get_stylesheet_directory_uri(); ?>/_inc/css/child.css" type="text/css" media="all" />
    <?php
    }

?>

As you can see, there are no more // or /* */. This is what happens when I do this:
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ',', expecting ')' in /home/tutuolog/public_html/wp-content/themes/studio-child/studio-child/functions.php on line 4

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

When I leave this line:
    and only remove /* and */, this is the error I get:
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ',', expecting ')' in /home/tutuolog/public_html/wp-content/themes/studio-child/studio-child/functions.php on line 5

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

still, it's not fixing the problem. I have all plugins deactivated and have installed your copy of the child. The functionality is fine overall, I was just really wanting my old styling back. This way uses up more space - it's all spread out. I liked my previous styling (which was not custom in any way). The Menu utilized the header space, making for good use of space. Would like very much to have that back because I really do love the theme.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

well, the good news (I think) is that I wiped out the theme entirely and added it back in with your file. Your zip file of the child is working better than my previous version, as I no longer have the parsing and other various errors. Those are gone .

I have attached the screenshot of the only file in the childs css folder.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Are you sure you had nothing to fix the logo being over sized for a menu that length? I ask this as if I hack in firebug and set the logo to:

element.style {
    width: 250px;
    }

This pops the menu back up.

The issue is you have a longer menu and a large logo. You either need CSS to compensate, have a smaller menu or use a smaller image for your logo.

Any of those options works.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

My friend Gina helped me out quite a bit previously. I took an item off the menu and it bumped the menu back up where it should be. That looks good now, but I have 2 new problems. As you can see, I need to adjust the styling a bit because the header image is being overlapped by the buddypress sign in. I can play around myself, I am just not sure which file to adjust. The second problem is that buddypress (our community) is not working from the front page. It is only working in the admin bar. I have circled in RED the styling issue and I have cirled the other area I am talking about. Would you help me figure this out?

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi Tammie-
    I am officially a dim-wit. I really hardly have a clue what I am doing honestly because I have a rather bare child CSS and can't quite wrap my head around how to go about developing one. I also have no idea what happened originally. Everything was fine one day, then messed up the next, so I was trying to problem solve on my own and suppose I took a risk by uninstalling and reinstalling my theme.

Is there a default/generic CSS I can use to make the child CSS?

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Could I send over my ftp and cpanel details? I found some wonky things and maybe you can take a peek. For example: The Studio download is incomplete (I think), so is the Child....then, while trying to find the layout CSS, I happened upon a Studio layout css through another theme called Trivilians' Way. Within THAT themes directory are all of Studios files and the Child, including layout.css.

Now, I am unsettled because I have no idea what Trivilians- Way is, how it got in my install, and why a copy of Studio is inside of it. It's Strange to me.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

I'm getting confused what you are saying about that theme. That theme you named has nothing to do with Studio. Has anyone else been in your install as seems like things are moved where they shouldn't be. Anyone else have ftp details?

Can we take a few steps back and do the following please:

1. Create a folder under wp-content/themes called oldstudio - pop in there 'all' the files for any folders called Studio - maybe studio-child too if you have it.
    2. Grab a fresh copy of Studio from this site
    3. Put under your wp-content/themes/ the fresh copy of Studio
    4. From the fresh copy under themes/ in that folder so Studio/themes/ grab the child theme and put that folder in the wp-content/themes/ root again.
    5. Activate the child theme.

Then lets see what you have we can then have you put the functions.php file I sent you into the child and be on track.

Lets get on track though and take from there no need for me to log in we don't really like doing that if we can solve other means and hopefully if you follow those steps with me we can.

I am trying to help but we need to clear the decks so to speak get back to some simple basics with the theme we know is a correct version.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

I will happily do this:slight_smile:
    Now, I'll have to create a new folder in Themes called "studio-child", correct? Then once, I have done all of the steps listed above, should I keep the "oldstudio" folder in themes? Thank you for your help Tammie.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

To recap:

1. Back up 'any' file to do with Studio in oldstudio/ - creating that folder on your ftp
    2. Download theme
    3. Put on ftp the new Studio
    4. Go into the new Studio folder themes/ put the child theme there under wp-content/themes/
    5. You should then have BOTH a child and parent theme at the root for Studio.

I'm a little confused as these installation steps haven't changed if this wasn't how you did this originally this would explain all your issues maybe.

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

This is PERFECT! It works!!!
    In hindsight, this is what I did that muddled things up:

I reinstalled studio b/c something went wonky w/ functions.php. I incorrectly produced the child, as I made a New Folder, named it studio-child, then copied the child folder into my new folder called studio-child.

I am so glad this is over. I am unsure why there was a mysterious theme in my directory with a copy of Studio inside of that. I have deleted the folder and all of its content and have since changed my login details.

Thank you for everything. It seems so simple in hindsight.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.