sub-domain and sub directory in single WPMU

Hi all,

I have a WPMU with sub-domain installed and using domain mapping very fine at first.com.

I have second.com mapped to second.first.com and third.com mapped to third.first.com.

Now, is it possible to have following at first.com:
blog1.second.com
blog2.second.com
third.com/blog1
third.com/blog2

If yes, is it possible via:

- sub-domain using the hosting cPanel
or
- In Domain Mapping field for blog on first.com.

Thanks!

• Patrick

Hi @Goelji

Let me see if I have this right.

You have a root site: first.com
    Mapped a site to second.first.com
    Now want to add blog.second.first.com

That doesn't look like it's going to work. But I'm no expert on complicated DNS configurations like that.

Let's wait and see if someone more knowledgeable in the community can give a definitive answer. I've also requested some input from other support staff on this issue, but that may take a bit longer than usual as most of the staff are away at a meetup: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/the-nyc-incsubwpmu-dev-meetup

• Patrick

@Goelji

I just finished a chat with one of my fellow staffers who is more knowledgeable than I when it comes to mapping domains. Here are the conclusions:

You already have a domain mapped to second.first.com

And want to have blog.second.first.com which won't work. You can't have a sub domain of a sub domain .

You also have a domain mapped to third.first.com

And want third.first.com/blog1 which can't be done either.

You might manage to do something with Multi-Domains with the sub domains but you still can't get it down to 2 sub's on one domain, it won't work.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

I think it might be possible but you'd have to test this. :slight_smile:

You have a root site: first.com
    Mapped a domain (second.com) to second.first.com
    Mapped a domain (third.com) to third.first.com

Now want to add:
    blog.second.com
    third.com/blog

So, you can have

first.com <-- Root domain.

second.first.com <-- Sub site on root domain. You want to map second.com to that.
    third.first.com <-- Another sub site of the root domain. You want to map third.com to that.

All good so far.

The next part is slightly more complicated.

third.com/blog <-- Are you wanting this to be another blog? Or is this simply the slug for the blog on the current site?

If it's another blog, then it's not possible as Patrick said.

If it's a slug/page for a blog on this current site, well then you could maybe achieve this through the use of another plugin.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/domain-mapping-system/

This plugin lets you map pages with domain names. I've not tested this in a network install with domain mapping. You'd need to give this a shot.

Please do let us know how that goes.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.