Sub-Domain to Sub-Directory

So, I converted my site to MU. I followed the instructions, but NEVER say a place to choose sub domain or sub folder. I thought I would find it, but never did. Well, I tried to make a site, and it was sub domain after all. So I went with it and created the wildcard sub domain. I installed domain mapping to point to the sub domain, and it points to my top level domain, an entirely different site and domain from my wpmu site.

How can I fix where the sub domain points OR is there a way to undo this and try again, but with a sub directory instead?

Here is my site: http://www.designadvanced.net

I don't want to lose my site since it took a while to configure and tweak. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
EM

• aecnu

Greetings EM,

Digging right into this, I went and did a trace of your domain to see if as written in the Domain Mapping instructions you also need to ensure you have a dedicated IP, if you indeed have a dedicated IP for your MultiSite installation, this would be the reason for this reaction and observation on your end:

and it points to my top level domain, an entirely different site and domain from my wpmu site.

It does not make a difference if it is a Sub Domain install or a Sub Directory install as long as you have other domains on the IP, you will have problems. A trace of your IP goes to the domain gospeltractdesign.com instead of designadvanced.net as it needs to be to work with Domain Mapping, once again regardless of sub domain or sub directory installation.

Until the IP problem is resolved the type of install becomes irrelevant when dealing with Domain Mapping.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings EM,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.