sub-domain vs. sub-directory; which is better?

I understand that this is an important decision to make during a WPMU install since you can't change it later. But what difference does it make (which is better)?

I'm using pSek for hosting and as far as I know they can set up wildcard DNS records, so in my case both options (sub-domain and sub-directory) are both available.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I've done a forum search but can't find much info. This is all I've found:
"I personally prefer using domain name installations rather than sub directory. You will see people with different opinions including that sub domains when not mapped still appear as a separate site in google where as a sub directory installs appear as part of the main site." https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/adding-domains-to-wp-multisite#post-160773

Thanks, Stephen.

• aecnu

Greetings Stephen,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

"I personally prefer using domain name installations rather than sub directory. You will see people with different opinions including that sub domains when not mapped still appear as a separate site in google where as a sub directory installs appear as part of the main site."

To be more accurate the above poster should have said sub domain installations rather then "domain name installations", other then that I totally agree with there reasoning but would add that I prefer sub domain installations because search engines will hone in on the keywords of the sub domain and considering two identical sites, one as sub domain with keywords and one as sub directory with keywords, I think the sub domain with keywords will rank higher though I cannot prove it since all my MultiSite networks are of the Sub Domain type.

So all other things being equal it is certain that I personally prefer and would pick sub domains.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.