sub super admin??

How difficult would it be to create customizable admin capabilities? For example, I'd like to hire someone to manage my MU network but I don't really want to give this person access to everything.... just as a precaution. Like a super-admin but with limited powers.

What say ye?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Not hugely difficult, but not simple either :slight_smile: most of the standard bits and pieces you can control by modifying their capabilities (google wordpress add_cap ) but those are only general and for a single blog. Super admin permissions don't currently have that level of control, it's either they are a super admin or they aren't, so that would take a bit more coding to hide the elements you don't want them accessing.

Wp3.1 has a new network admin interface which may give more control, but I haven't looked into that part as much so far.

• czydrm
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

it would be easier for me to tell you what it is that I'm trying to accomplish rather than trying to explain exactly what I want to limit.

The goal is to be able to have somebody that can come in and manage most of the parent blog( not critical) and ALL of the child blogs (critical). What I want to prevent is for this person to be able to change any of the PayPal information or any of the other really sensitive stuff. Basically just another layer of management. Interestingly but just answering this question helped me to clarify my needs even more. What I REALLY want is for someone to be able to come in and provide support for all of the child blogs by giving them a global password but I don't really want them to be able to make changes to the parent blog.

Does that help at all?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

If you're using the New Blog Templates plugin you could add them as an admin user to your template site - then their username would be automatically created with admin capabilities on any new blogs.

For your main site - just give them lower capabilities like 'editor'. Then they can access all sites, but not your main one. You'd have to go through and add them as admin to all previously created sites, but that could be done through an SQL statement or possibly even our Batch Create plugin.

Would this work?

• dustin
    • The Crimson Coder

How would I do the reverse? I want to give my client superadmin rights for a site, but not my main site. I want my client to be able to create their own network of sites like a super admin, the way I can do it.

Do I have to start my client of fresh with their own domain name separate from my installation on my domain?

Dustin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.