Subdomain not working despite everything being followed 100%

Hi,

Sorry for the most likely repeated question but I cant find any help on Google either.

I have installed MultiSite and want to use Sub Domain option but cant get it working.

I have followed all the steps using the tutorial on WPMUDEV and created a wildcard "*" entry in cPanel for the domain/subdomain (directed to the server ip)

However, the subdomain sites STILL dont work and go to a generic "Site cannot be found" browser message. eg user.mydomain.com page can not be found.

I am running a VPS with GoDaddy.

Many thanks

Ben

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Ben,

Zyniker is spot on with this one.

DNS problems are the most common reason if this not working properly.

Did you check with Godaddy support to make sure that the wildcard is setup properly ?

I have followed all the steps using the tutorial on WPMUDEV and created a wildcard "*" entry in cPanel for the domain/subdomain (directed to the server ip)

Did you create 2 entries ? Can you please provide more information like screenshots etc ?

Please advise.

Cheers, PC

• imbenking
    • New Recruit

Hi both,

Many thanks for the responses! Strangely after a few hours it just started working and I am not quite sure what changed, particularly as I host my own nameservers etc.

The issue that took me slightly longer to figure out that it was working, was the fact that even now, the first website name I chose: eg user1.mydomain.com will not work. Any other name will work just not the first one. Am I right in thinking perhaps there is some database issue with it not erasing or resolving?

It is not crucial as I do not need to use that site name. Just a little strange! User1.mydomain.com will still take me to a Page Cant be Found error even though User2 user3 etc all work great!

Thanks

Ben

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Ben,

Greetings and thanks for posting back and letting us know that everything is working fine :slight_smile:

Strangely after a few hours it just started working and I am not quite sure what changed, particularly as I host my own nameservers etc.

DNS changes might take a while in some areas. Basically it also depends on the ISP using which you made the changes.

Any other name will work just not the first one. Am I right in thinking perhaps there is some database issue with it not erasing or resolving?

It is not crucial as I do not need to use that site name. Just a little strange! User1.mydomain.com will still take me to a Page Cant be Found error even though User2 user3 etc all work great!

My be remove that site and create it again ? It could be a db error as well.

Did you try that ?

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.