Subdomain sites in multinetwork install will not resolve

In my multinetwork install, my subdomain sites of subnetwork domain will not resolve.

masterdomain.com has network including subnetwork1.com and subnetwork2.com and site a.subnetwork1.com nor a.subnetwork2.com do not resolve

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @astriddge,

What plugin are you using for your multinetwork? Are you using our domain mapping plugin or are you referring to a completely different plugin?

Have you configured wildcard subdomains on your server

*.domain.com in your servers CPanel or A records/CNAME records

Does your multisite have a dedicated IP address?

If you have just configured those domains, it can take several hours to 48hrs for those domains to propogate properly, until that time, they will not work.

Hope this helps

• astriddge
    • New Recruit

HI @Vaughan,

I set it up using networks for wordpress based on copious reading of posts here.

I parked both subnetwork domains to master domain and set an * a record pointing to master as well

Dedicated IP, probably not.
    I added your domain mapping plugin, the networks plugin in deactivated and
    I've gone from address bar not finding anything to current message at my host saying no website configured for this address.

Also, the new mapping plugin keeps saying my susrise.php file is old and I need copy, which I've done a few times and still get that message

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi, do you mean multi-network plugin?

I'm not sure you need domain mapping with multi-network plugin. I haven't ever used it. If you mean this plugin? http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/networks-for-wordpress/

If so, then it has built in domain mapping. It isn't 1 of our plugins, so i don't really know much about it.

But you will definitely need a dedicated IP address for your multisite, this could be the reason the domains aren't working.

With subdomains, you need to use CNAMES in your DNS and not A records.

Hope this helps

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.