Subscribe by email

We've just released a brand new email subscription plugin.

It's exactly what we've always been after - simple, robust, powerful and ready out of the box to run as an mu plugin across tens of thousands of blogs.

We'd love to get your feedback on it :slight_smile:

So please have a play:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/subscribe-by-email

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

Hi James,

At first glance I thought this would be what I have been looking for ... but after reading the description, I'm not sure.

I want to add the ability for my bloggers to include an autoresponder signup form in the sidebar of their blog. This is usally done through a web form, and I think with a tweak, I'll be able to get Fast and Secure Contact Form by Mike Challis to work, but I would feel more comfortable if the plugin I was using came from someone intimately familiar with WPMU.

So, here is a feature request.

Modify the plugin so that the blogger can offer one or both subscription types ... as a subscription to blog updates, or as a subscription to an autoresponder script, such as aWeber, GetResponse or AutorRsponsePlus. a php_mailer function sending an email to the sutoresponder script with the first name and email address of the person signing up would be good. The blogger can either use Captcha or double opt-in to stay compliant.

Thassit.
    Kirk

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

I'd highly recommend DD Form Mailer http://www.dagondesign.com/articles/secure-form-mailer-plugin-for-wordpress/

It's got an inbuilt option to auto respond, you can have as many instances as you want, it's a simple shortcode embed and you can customize the form however you like.

This is very definitely a 'subscribe to receive email updates' plugin... now we could (down the line) add in a feature that allowed you to configure a message that is automatically sent to new subscribers, would that fit the bill?

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

I think the message to new subscribers that is already built into WPMU at signup is fine.

DagonDesign may be what I want, if each blogger can specify the autoresponder they want the signup sent to. I'll have a look, although I was one of the very few who wasn't happy with his WP plugins. For some reason they confused me and it took a bit of getting used to having a file and not a directory in the plugin folder. I may be able to handle it now. Your mu-plugin folder training has helped. LOL

As Ahnold days, I'll be back.

• rossagrant
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Just installed this on a single install of WP/BP.

Doesn't seem to be working. I simply get 'Page Not Found' errors when clicking on the subscriptions or save settings buttons in the dashboard.

I take it that it doesn't work for a single install?

Is there a section on the site that shows plugins compatible with a single installation? I'm eager to play around with some new features that's all and I'm not sure what will work or not.
    Thanks
    Ross :slight_smile:

• rossagrant

Actually guys, after installing the plugin I noticed there were two mentions of the plugin in the plugin option.

I just tried clicking activate on the one that wasn't active and it gave me a blank page. Unfortunately everytime I try to access my site I just get a blank page now.

Any ideas as I don't have a site now!
    Cheers
    Ross :slight_smile:

• Kirk Ward
    • Syntax Hero

I'd highly recommend DD Form Mailer http://www.dagondesign.com/articles/secure-form-mailer-plugin-for-wordpress/

It's got an inbuilt option to auto respond, you can have as many instances as you want, it's a simple shortcode embed and you can customize the form however you like.

Unfortunately, Dagon's form is made for pages only. It does not appear that it will go into a widget. The Fast and Secure Contact form does do that, via shortcode, but I haven't noted how to get the send name in the from field with the from email address (which is for the submitter) yet.

• Ken
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Same thoughts of Kirk Ward here,

It would be great if the users had this plugin to have their own email notification system set up on their blogs so they can have subscribers on their own.

Just like what this plugin offers, let the users have a Subscribe widget and promote the subscription.

Wouldn't it be a great plugin within some tweaks?

Thanks.

• rossagrant

Great plugin guys that seems to do the trick.

One thing I have noticed in the emails the plugin has been sending out can be seen in the message below.

Dear Subscriber,

sharespeak.co.uk has posted a new item: Provexis agrees £25m funding deal

You can read the post in full here:
    http://sharespeak.co.uk/2010/04/provexis-agrees-25m-funding-deal/

[caption id="attachment_37" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="Sirco Contains
    Fruitflow"][/caption]

HEALTH drinks firm Provexis has secured a three-year £25m equity financing deal with
    Evolution Securities.

It said the shares deal will be us...

Thanks,
    sharespeak.co.uk

Cancel subscription: http://sharespeak.co.uk?action=cancel-subscription&sid=1

You will notice that when a caption is attached to a picture in the post, the email shows the caption but no picture is shown and the code used is displayed.

What is this text exactly and should the email show a picture too?

• Sue
    • Recruit

Subscribe by Email has two options: Excerpt enabled or not. You are using the excerpt enabled option which includes a small excerpt from the post in the email.

It doesn't support images in the emails. Instead it has replaced it with information to indicate there was an image. FeedBurner email subscription is the same -- it only sends through the text no images.

• Jake
    • New Recruit

Great plugin. Very simple yet effective.

Personally, I updated the subscribe-by-email.php file and removed the element styles and < center > tag. I also added an ID to the submit button. All styling is taken care of with additions to my theme CSS.

Currently the form does not validate email addresses on submit. A user can even click submit without entering anything. You're going to end up with quite a few invalid email address subscribers if you have a busy site.

It also doesn't seem to support hitting the enter key. The form appears to submit, but doesn't actually process the address. You can only submit the form with the mouse.

Here's a quick example of how I restyled ours: http://orangeapple.com/news

Not ranting at all, just making others aware.

Aside from the issues above I'd also like to see:

* A customizable confirmation message sent to a subscriber
    * Ability to customize the subject
    * Ability to modify the sender email address
    * The unsubscribe link currently gives the user ID. This should be a randomized string at the minimum. Any user could unsubscribe any other user (or all of them).

• raymondmannion
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi,
    Great plugin! I'm always looking for some way that I can let people subscribe to one or many categories. For example, my martial arts school blog has student news, philosophy articles, and content related to the children's program.
    On another blog, I have articles about different programming languages.

Obviously, RSS fans familiar with wordpress can do this via the path/links and I'm currently doing this with 3 separate feedburner URLs but I've had occasions where I'd want to set up a dozen or so separate feeds.

That's what's on my wishlist!

Cheers,
    Ray

• trjohnson
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I installed this plugin but there are a couple weird quirks. #1 it makes you enter your email address? Why not just let a current logged in user click a "subscribe" button and use the email address associated with the account.

And #1 becomes and issue because of #2: It won't allow me to subscribe an email that doesn't exist in the system as a user, and #3 it will only allow me on the blog widget to subscribe my own email address.

So, since you cannot enter anything but your current registered email address... I'm not sure what the point is of having a field that the email address has to be entered into. In fact, it causes problems when it says "yes you subscribed" but I look at the list and no, they didn't, really.

Finally, it autosubscribed all the users on my blogs, at least, on my base blog. On another blog it only assigned the users who were an owner and an editor. It won't let me unsubscribe owners or editors.

• Aaron
    • CTO

All of that seems really wierd. It should let you subscribe any email address, and it has no code to consider user status or even if a user is logged in. If you used subscribe 2 before it does try to import subscriptions from that.

Are you sure you are not confusing this with another plugin, maybe from wp.org?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.