subscribe by email don't send email to subscribers as daily digest once a day

subscribe by email doesn't send email to subscribers as daily digest once a day.
The email is sent immediately though.

Paddy

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Paddy,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I took a liberty of visiting your site's dashboard and checked Subscribe by Email settings for main site. Currently it is set to "Immediately when a new post is published". I'm a bit confused here so let me make sure that we're on a same side here. What you mean is that when you set it to "Send a daily digest..." no emails are sent to subscribers but with "Immediately..." setting emails are delivered fine. Is that correct?

Could you also please install this plugin on your site:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-crontrol/

Then set the Subscribe by Email back to daily digest and let me know here?

Thanks!
    Adam

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello @patrizio_casciaro,

I hope you are having a good day and thanks for granting us support staff access.

To be on same side, I've scheduled daily digest on your and mine sandbox sites( I've added myself as subscribe on your end and scheduled few post for daily digest testing ). It should send post notification to both of us within next 12 hours( should be 24 but I've scheduled bit earlier ). If it don't send notification, I will get back to you with further insights. Meantime please wait till I ping you back.

Hope you will cooperate with us. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello again Paddy,

I've received notifications of scheduled post without any issue. Daily digest seems to working on your end without any issue. Here is screenshot of e-mails I received for 3 posts which I've scheduled for test some time ago.

Would you please advice further. You were saying you are not receiving any emails, but that is not the case with my testing. As you can see in attached screenshot, plugin is listing out scheduled posts and sending to its subscribers without any problem.

Looking forward to hearing back.
    Kind Regards,
    Milan

• Paddy
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi Milan,
    The plugin was activated only on single subsite because we had some coding in order to send the notifications from the subsite admin email.
    Because the notification were not sent at all from the main site I had to activate the plugin network wide.
    Now it seems to work however the notifications from each subsite is sent from the main site admin email.
    I understand that it is much trouble to have the notification sent by each subsite email admin so I don't know what to do.
    Maybe too difficult to implement?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Paddy!

Now it seems to work however the notifications from each subsite is sent from the main site admin email.

That's because Subscribe by Email takes an address from main WP settings. If enabled on "per-site" base it should make use of site admin's e-mail I think but if enabled "network wide" it will use global settings.

I understand that it is much trouble to have the notification sent by each subsite email admin so I don't know what to do.

This should be doable but would require some custom coding for which you may want to ask at our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: now WPMU DEV staff members involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

I can suggest hooking to "sbe_pre_send_emails" action like this:

function my_custom_email_from($mail_data) {
    }
    add_action("sbe_pre_send_emails", "my_custom_email_from");

Then there are two filters that could be used from that hook:

"wp_mail_from"
    "'wp_mail_from_name"

Using core WP functions you should be able to retrieve an e-mail address of "current" blog admin and then use it with SbE plugin with custom code based on above information.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Paddy!

The code I shared in my previous post is a suggestion of how to "hook to" Subscribe by Email. It would be best to add this snipped as an "MU Plugin". Take a look here please for an explanation on MU Plugins:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Must_Use_Plugins

The code itself however doesn't do anything specific and as I mentioned the "skeleton" I posted should be filled with a custom code that would alter SbE behavior. This would be a custom development work and you may ask for it on our "Jobs & Pros" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involve!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Paddy
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi Guys,
    I think we are both spending too much time on SBE to make it work. I don't think a single funtionality is worth so much time from both side... mine and yours.
    As per now I will deactivate it and leave my website without a subscribers mailing list.
    I think you were a great help and thanks for all the suggestions.
    So I close this threat now.
    Paddy

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Paddy!

I'm sorry we were not able to make it work for you yet. It definitely needs more testing and investigation on your site but I can understand that this may be troublesome for you so in case you decided to get back to it in future just let me know please.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.