Subscribe by Email /MailChimp not sending confirmation emails

Hello,

We are using Subscribe by Email and syncing with the WPMUdev MailChimp plug in.

Our first campaign with MailChimp seems to have ignored the imported subscribers. I originally thought it might be because some are not confirmed - however some that were confirmed by email also did not get the mailer sent via MailChimp.

The confirmed Subscribers were initially signed up to receive posts once a week. This worked fine. After installing the WPMUdev MailChimp plug in - I changed the Subscribers settings to 'Never send emails" -- since this will be done only once a month via MailChimp now.

I did have the 'No Opt In' setting checked in the Network Admin Mailchimp setting section. I have since changed this - as I thought perhaps MailChimp may flag imports because of this.

My next step was going to be to be to confirm the subscribers manually. However I thought it would be best to resend the confirmation email. After testing I found that no confirmation link is being sent - for new subscribers - and even if the 'Resend Confirmation mail' is checked. This is true for new subscribers too - even after the settings were changed on MailChimp for adding without Opt In.

QUESTIONS:

Is the MailChimp Opt In a second opt in - or does it honor the original WordPress Subscribers Opt In.

Could the fact that many are not confirmed (likely because they never got the Confirmation Email) be causing an issue. Did choosing No Opt IN on the MailChimp settings cause the issue?

How can we fix this?

Thanks for your help. This is a new magazine that has gone digital after 24 years in print. Loyal followers did not get the first online digital issue since the Subscribe by Email confirmation is blocking -- or MailCHimp -- or both.. Need help! Crucial situation.

Thanks,
Aaron

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Aaron,

Our first campaign with MailChimp seems to have ignored the imported subscribers. I originally thought it might be because some are not confirmed - however some that were confirmed by email also did not get the mailer sent via MailChimp.

Did imported subscribers were actually on the MailChimp list? Then they should all get emails from MailChimp - they should check in spam folder especially if you are using gmail account to send mails.

Is the MailChimp Opt In a second opt in - or does it honor the original WordPress Subscribers Opt In.

I'm bit confused here - those plugins are not integrated and except actuall users in WordPress they do no share same subscribers list.
    Subscribe by email has own list of subscribers (subscribers that are not WordPress users) and this list is not shared with MailChimp Integration plugin.
    MailChimp synchronizes actual users in WordPress with your MailChimp lists.

Loyal followers did not get the first online digital issue since the Subscribe by Email confirmation is blocking -- or MailCHimp -- or both.. Need help! Crucial situation.

On what list those followers are? Are they on Subscribe by email list or they are users in your WordPress?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Aaron

Hello,

Yes - this was my thought also - if they are on the MailChimp list they should be included. However the MailChimp support documentation does say this:

Spam filters look at a long list of criteria to decide whether or not an email is junk. In fact, the list of spammy criteria is constantly growing and adapting, because spam filters learn more about what junk looks like every time someone clicks the This is junk or Mark as spam button in their email client. Spam filters even sync up with each other to share what they’ve learned. There’s no magic formula, but these tips will help you avoid common mistakes that often send email to junk folders.

These folks are on the MailChimp list. Also, they are typical email addresses like gmail. They are not in any Spam folder - checked with my emails and other test subscribers - not in social section either.

I understand that they are separate lists and agree they should not affect each other. I had to ask since the Confirm email is not working. and the emphasis MailCHimp documentation puts on having lists where emails have confirmed/opted in.

These folks are on the Subscribers list. Most are NOT confirmed. The confirmation email is NOT being sent out. This is the first issue I would like solved - as it may solve the problem of MailCHimp ignoring them. I know it shouldn't but check out how many times MailChimp notes that emails on list not being confirmed or opting in - is indeed a reason they will not get the email (see below)

I understand I can confirm them in the Dashboard-Subscribers. I can do this for past subscribers - BUT it contiues not to send confirmation emails. Considering what MailChimp says about Spam filters and getting confirmation.

NOTE: Our list is from loyal readers who have given permission. We added many of them as Subscribers in Wordpress. Many signed up themseves - but never got a confirmation email These addresses were synced sucessfully with MailChimp - but did not get the email... MailChimp seems to have ignored them. ??? I will contact MailCHimp about this also - BUT still need to get the CONFIRMATION EMAIL situation fixed first.

Mistake: Not having permission
    When you create a MailChimp account, you agree to comply with all anti-spam regulations and MailChimp’s Terms Of Use. These terms require that all lists be permission-based, consisting of subscribers who have signed up through a mailing list signup form or have given their explicit permission to be added to the list. You must have tangible, confirmable proof that the subscriber wants you to communicate with them, and your intent must be clearly identified.

There are two very important things to keep in mind:

Make sure you have received permission from all of your recipients before you send your first email. Permission ensures that your recipients want to receive email marketing content from you. Before investing your time and money in an email marketing program, start getting permission from your customers. It’s easier than you may think, and some of the benefits might surprise you. Not only will it result in fewer spam complaints and decreased legal liability, but you’ll also experience improved deliverability and increased open and click rates.

All recipients should understand what they’re signing up for and why they’re receiving email from you. Your signup form should be very clear about your intent. It should also properly manage the expectations of your subscribers. Be sure to explain not only that your subscribers will be receiving email from you, but also what type of emails they will be receiving. Your permission reminder, which you’ll create as you set up a new list in MailChimp, should remind your subscribers where they originally opted-in and why they are receiving the email.

Thanks for your help,
    Aaron

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Aaron,

These folks are on the MailChimp list. Also, they are typical email addresses like gmail. They are not in any Spam folder - checked with my emails and other test subscribers - not in social section either.

Sorry for confusion I created - I was asking if your email is gmail address set in MailChimp to send newsletter. That would be reason if newsletters were send and got in to spam folders of your recipients.

Please note that MailChimp integration plugin only synchronizes your WordPress users with your lists on MailChimp and it is not responsible for sending emails. If user is confirmed on your MailChimp list and did not get newsletter (and you are 100% sure that it didn't go to spam folder) this is something that has to be resolved on MailChimp side.

These folks are on the Subscribers list. Most are NOT confirmed. The confirmation email is NOT being sent out.

Are they on the Subscribers list - list that belongs to Subscribe by Email? As I said before - those plugins are not integrated - MailChimp Integration uses actual WordPress users not the email that are subscribers in Subscribe by Email list.

NOTE: Our list is from loyal readers who have given permission. We added many of them as Subscribers in Wordpress. Many signed up themseves - but never got a confirmation email These addresses were synced sucessfully with MailChimp - but did not get the email... MailChimp seems to have ignored them. ??? I will contact MailCHimp about this also - BUT still need to get the CONFIRMATION EMAIL situation fixed first.

Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

kind regards,
    Kasia