subscribe by email plugin raw html

All of my email notifications since the 2.5 update have come across with garbled html code. At first I thought it had to do with the email client but then I tried it myself in Thunderbird and 2010 OWA. If I send a test message it is fine but actual notifications are messed up. I have some older notifications in my email that were fine on 12/17, the day before I went to 2.5. I have attached some messages to this ticket. I can't help but assume it has something to do with the top item in the 2.5 change log "Emails are now sent with HTML + plain text support" . Please advise how we can resolve this and if I can provide any other infomation