Subscribe by email upgrade problem

Need Help!
I upgraded the "subscribe by email" plugin. A page came up that said "it may take a while" (because I have a lot of subscribers)

Now it seems to be stuck and I only see half of my subscribers.

Thanks

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @memeeile,

No worries, there's a way to salvage this situation. :slight_smile:

Uninstall the version you have now, and go here and download 2.7.5 (click on the changelog link on the right, and then on 2.7.5)

After that, go to Plugins -> Add New -> Upload, and upload the zip file you downloaded a moment ago.

After installing & activating it, go and update the plugin from the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin. Once it's updated, you should see that upgrade screen again.

Start the process, and anytime you see this:

"This screen should be reloaded in a few seconds (you must have Javascript activated). If it doesn't, please click here"

Click that "click here" link if it doesn't auto-refresh the page. Eventually, you should see it say "All subscribers processed".

Once you see the "Subscribe By Email has been upgraded", then you should be in the clear. Just click the button to go back to the Dashboard, and you're done!

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @memeeile,

Am I supposed to delete the existing plugin? Will it delete all of my settings and subscribers?

You won't lose your subscribers, but you will lose the settings. I'd make note of what the settings are before you start uninstalling the plugin.

After that, you'll have to deactivate (disable) the plugin first, and then you'll have to delete (uninstall) the plugin. You'll see a page come asking you if you really want to do this, just click on "Yes".

Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @memeeile,

Could you grant Support Access to your site, so I could have a closer look? It shouldn't have done this, and I'd like to make sure that there isn't something else up here.

You can grant support access inside your site's Dashboard by going to WPMU DEV -> Support, clicking on the Support Access tab, and then clicking on "Grant Access".

Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @memeeile,

It looks like I'm going to have to look even deeper, not seeing anything come up inside the Dashboard.

If you could do me a favor, and please send in the following:

- Mark to my attention - ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - A link back to this thread
    - Include cPanel access details (I'll need to look at the database, so I need PHPMyAdmin access or similar)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Michael

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @memeeile,

After looking into this further, it looks like the subscriber list was wiped out somehow. It didn't do this when I was composing the solution to the upgrade problem, and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to wipe it out by default, so I'm not sure why it's gone now.

I didn't see any database backups inside your cPanel, otherwise I would have restored from there. I'd get in touch with your web host, and see if they have any backups available, so you can get the list of subscribers back.

Hopefully, we can get this sorted out, and get you back on your feet!

Regards,
    Michael

• memeeile
    • Flash Drive

Michael,

I re-imported the contact list successfully and then posted a couple of new posts as a test. The first posting via Subscribe by Email went smoothly, but then the second posting sent the emails twice! I'm sure my subscribers are not happy!

Can you take a look and see what the problem might be? Maybe the old subscriber list is still in the database? Is there a bug?

Thanks again!

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @memeeile, glad to hear you were able to get the contact list back. :slight_smile:

I looked inside the database, and I only see one list, so it doesn't look like there's duplicates there. Checking the logs proved that only one copy was sent out, so that doesn't appear to be the issue either.

Can you try sending composing another test post, and seeing if that would post twice as well? I'm not seeing that it sends out 2 emails for one post on my test site, so there may be something up with the way yours is set up.

The next question for us to answer is (which we'll see after the testing), is it an intermittent issue, or not?

Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @memeeile,

Unfortunately, at this point, the only way we can test this is to create another post, and see if Subscribe By Email sends out duplicate emails.

@Siva, I see that you've already started a thread about this issue, why don't we take the conversation back over there? :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Michael

• memeeile
    • Flash Drive

Actually, I am still running on 2.8. The site was running poorly, so I inactivated the WPMU dashboard. Must have missed the downgrade because of this?

Anyway, I have re-activated if you want to downgrade it. Just as long as I won't lose my contacts again!! That was disruptive.

Thanks, E

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @memeeile,

Just downgraded your install of Subscribe by email, and migrated the settings and the subscribers you had. :slight_smile:

That "pending" status notice is a bug that's being worked on. If you were to look at the details for the entry (back when 2.8 was installed), you'd notice that it says that each email was marked as "sent" for your subscribers.

On a different note, I'm thinking that the 2.8 version might have been slowing your site down for some reason, I'm noticing that things are moving quicker now, even with the Dashboard plugin enabled.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance here. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.