Subscribe2 not sending out email with Auto Blog

We're using the Auto Blog plug in to publish posts to a number of blog sites. We would like Subscribe2 to notify subscribers with each such post, however no email is going out. If we post directly/manually into the blog, then Subscribe2 sends out the email, but not when content is posted via Auto Blog. Is Auto Blog failing to use a specific hook and posting directly into the database or something? Is there a way to fix this? Thank you.

• aecnu

Greetings aaw,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thank you for the great question and sorry to see that you are having an issue with these two plugin combinations.

In an effort to come up with a quick solution, please try using something like Configure SMTP in which I personally use on my production sites but for different reasons, but it bypasses the native wp_mail() function and therefore may be a good solution.

Please advise and look forward to hearing form you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• aaw

Thank you for your reply. I am sending all mail via SMTP--verified at the server level--but no mail is sent out as a result of the autoblog postings (again verified at the server level). I have just received a message from the developer of Subscribe2, and he believes that... well, let me just insert his reply below:

mattyrob wrote:

@waitek,
    From what you describe above Autoblog is almost certainly not firing the code WordPress hooks needed by Subscribe2.
    Subscribe2 uses post transition hooks so that any post the is moved from any status (like draft, pending, new etc) to the published status the code is fired.
    I cannot view the Autoblog source code as it is a purchased plugin but I suspect, looking at the screen shots at WPMUDev for it, that it inserted the new content as published immediately and does not call any transition hooks.
    It would be easy enough to add a line into the source code that did this but you'd nee to raise that with the WPMUDev team.

• aecnu

Greetings aaw,

Thank you for the great feedback and clarification which is absolutely appreciated.

I will certainly bring this to the attention of the lead developer for his input into the subject, being the projects lead developer and coder he will know if this can be hacked in real quick or not or if this will be a project for feature requests?

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Barry

If we post directly/manually into the blog, then Subscribe2 sends out the email, but not when content is posted via Auto Blog. Is Auto Blog failing to use a specific hook and posting directly into the database or something?

Autoblog uses the standard WP insert post functions so is firing all the hooks, however, it works via wp-cron, so is not running as an "admin" area function which may be the problem here.

If you manually process a feed, does the subscribe2 plugin send out the emails then? If so, then the above is definitely the issue.

• aaw

Thank you for the reply. Manual feed processing of autoblog doesn't trigger the email either. Just to recap the steps I'm taking, in case I'm overlooking something obvious:

1. We process group posts--that is posts we want to appear on all of the network blogs--through a WordPress site we call the dumpsite.
    2. These group posts are published to the dumpsite and include a keyword so autoblog can identify and post to each of the network blogs.
    3. The autoblog process does indeed identify the posts on the dumpsite feed and posts them appropriately to the individual network blogs.
    4. However, no matter whether we allow wp-cron to trigger this process automatically or whether we manually force the autoblog process from admin, no subscribe2 emails are going out as a result of these posts.
    5. That said, if we manually publish to an individual blog site through the wp admin, the subscribe2 emails are sent out.

• aaw

Incidentally, sometimes when I manually process the autoblog, I'm getting the following error, although autoblog does post:

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string() expects parameter 1 to be string, object given in /home/aaw/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 789

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/aaw/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php:789) in /home/aaw/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 881

• Barry

We process group posts

What are group posts? You mention them a few times, but I'm not sure what they are.

owever, no matter whether we allow wp-cron to trigger this process automatically or whether we manually force the autoblog process from admin, no subscribe2 emails are going out as a result of these posts.

This and

That said, if we manually publish to an individual blog site through the wp admin, the subscribe2 emails are sent out.

Seem to contradict each other, can you go through what you are doing in each case?

You mention Subscribe 2 plugin, I assume this isn't our subscribe plugin? If not, what have their support said about this issue - as, autoblog is adding posts ok it would appear it is a subscribe 2 issue as to why emails are not being sent (and nothing we do on the autoblog side of things will change that)

• aaw

It may help if I describe this in real terms. We currently have an adopt a worker program that matches sponsors with their adopted worker. Under WP multisite, we create a blog site for each worker, so sponsors can visit and read the latest information about their worker.

Those sponsors are subscribed via subscribe2 to their worker's blog page. Whenever a new post is published to the worker's blog, an email goes to the sponsor with a link.

We also wanted the ability to post general news to all of the worker blogs at the same time. That's our "group posts". We we created a separate blog site (what we call the dumpsite) for posting those items. Autoblog checks that feed, and general posts contain a keyword. Autoblog is set up on each worker blog site to publish specific worker information AND anything posted to the dumpsite that contains the keyword for a general post.

Sorry about the seeming contradiction. Hope this clarifies:

Manual posts = creating and publishing a post within the WP admin for a given blog site. The standard way of posting without using autoblog.

Manual processing of autoblog = going under the autoblog all feeds section and clicking on "process" for that particular autoblog feed

The subscribe2 plugin we're using is http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/subscribe2/.

At this point I'm in touch with the subscribe2 developer. The initial thought was that autoblog might not be using the hooks necessary to trigger the subscribe2 emails.

• aaw

A little more research suggests that this is an issue with the multi-site install of the subscribe2 plugin. I've tested autoblog/subscribe2 on a single-site install of WordPress, and everything worked fine. Autoblog posted new articles, and subscribe2 saw the posts and sent out the subscriber alert emails.

Apparently subscribe2 lacks full functionality under a network install.

Can plugins be installed on a per-site basis instead of network-wide under a multi-site WordPress installation? I'm not seeing a menu item for installing plugins when I'm at the individual site dashboard.

• Barry

Can plugins be installed on a per-site basis instead of network-wide under a multi-site WordPress installation? I'm not seeing a menu item for installing plugins when I'm at the individual site dashboard.

Yes, if you are not seeing the plugins menu then I assume you haven't enabled the plugins menu for each site?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/enabling-plugin-access-site-wide/

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.