SubscribeByEmail header changes

Hi,

We are trying to use the Subscribe by Email plugin (version 2.7.5) and have found a couple issues that we could use your help with:

1. Malformed List-Unsubscribe header

a. The list unsubscribe header is missing a trailing slash, currently it appears as: “List-Unsubscribe: <http://blogs.imms.com?sbe_unsubscribe=dedac98a4aeab6fa>”

b. It should appear as “List-Unsubscribe: <http://blogs.imms.com/?sbe_unsubscribe=dedac98a4aeab6fa>”

c. This could be a regression bug as the change log indicated that it might have been fixed in “1.1.4.1 - 07/13/2012 - S H Mohanjith”

2. “Reply-To:” header has same value as “To:” header

a. This configuration is not explicitly mentioned in IETF RFCs regarding email, but it can result in difficulty getting through spam filters. I can understand that it was set up this way to make it easier to use the plugin for the average user since they will not have to create an inbound email box, but it will create issues for larger lists. Can this be modified to allow a custom value to be input, or at the minimum an option to turn the “Reply-To” value off completely?

b. RFC 2822 section 3.6.2 “In the absence of the "Reply-To:" field, replies SHOULD by default be sent to the mailbox(es) specified in the "From:" field unless otherwise specified by the person composing the reply.”

3. Message-ID header

a. When the plugin is used the message ID header uses the generating systems FQDN. While this is only supposed to be used to guarantee the uniqueness of the message it would be nice to be able to customize it to a specific domain on the right hand side of the ‘@’. This would enable the plugin user to guarantee that the domain used was not also used for personal email, in other words, it would allow for further separation of bulk, marketing, or commercial email streams from transactional email streams.

• Hoang Ngo

Hi @erin,

I hope you are well today and many thanks for your feedback.

1. Malformed List-Unsubscribe header

a. The list unsubscribe header is missing a trailing slash, currently it appears as: “List-Unsubscribe: <http://blogs.imms.com?sbe_unsubscribe=dedac98a4aeab6fa>”

b. It should appear as “List-Unsubscribe: <http://blogs.imms.com/?sbe_unsubscribe=dedac98a4aeab6fa>”

c. This could be a regression bug as the change log indicated that it might have been fixed in “1.1.4.1 - 07/13/2012 - S H Mohanjith”

Can you please forward a sample email to contact@wpmudev.org, with the subject have line ATTN:Hoang Ngo, so I can check? I have some test in my test site, but I still see the link in the #b form.

2. “Reply-To:” header has same value as “To:” header

a. This configuration is not explicitly mentioned in IETF RFCs regarding email, but it can result in difficulty getting through spam filters. I can understand that it was set up this way to make it easier to use the plugin for the average user since they will not have to create an inbound email box, but it will create issues for larger lists. Can this be modified to allow a custom value to be input, or at the minimum an option to turn the “Reply-To” value off completely?

b. RFC 2822 section 3.6.2 “In the absence of the "Reply-To:" field, replies SHOULD by default be sent to the mailbox(es) specified in the "From:" field unless otherwise specified by the person composing the reply.”

For now, we can fix this by modify the plugin core code , line 1031 at the file /e-newsletter/email-newsletter-files/class.functions.php, you will see the code like this
    $sent_status = $mail->Send();
    Please update to
    $mail->AddReplyTo('your_reply_email@domain.com','Your name');

a. When the plugin is used the message ID header uses the generating systems FQDN. While this is only supposed to be used to guarantee the uniqueness of the message it would be nice to be able to customize it to a specific domain on the right hand side of the ‘@’. This would enable the plugin user to guarantee that the domain used was not also used for personal email, in other words, it would allow for further separation of bulk, marketing, or commercial email streams from transactional email streams.

I will pass this to the lead developer, so he can consider about this feature for include it to future release

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Ignacio

Hi there.

I thought that I had answered this thread but it seems that I missed it, sorry for that.

Your feedback is really helpful. Right now I'm working in a new version of the plugin so I cannot fix all of these and unfortunately I'm going on vacation during this month so I guess I can start with it again in august but I'll check every single header in the emails to improve the plugin.

Thanks a lot!