Subscription by Email Test Post question

Hi,

I've looked through several pages of the support forum tagged with "Subscribe by Email" but I can't seem to find anything on this topic. This is my first time using the plugin and our client is asking to send a test email for a post she's just written that's still in draft mode. Is there a way to do this and make sure it will still email when she actually publishes the post after we've imported her full subscriber list?

The only test functionality that I was able to see was for the email template styles, which just sends lorem ipsum copy.

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Brendan,

At this moment this is not possible to send test mail with actual content only to admin of the site.

Some of workaround is to remove all subscribers, leave only admin, then publish post so admin will get post - and the add users back to the subscribers list:

To export:
    From your dashboard go to Subscriptions => Subscribers
    Press the "Download CSV" button there to download a file that contains a list of your subscribers.
    Once you export them you can safely delete them and test whatever you want.

To re-import:
    From your dashboard go to Subscriptions => Add Subscribers
    On the "Import subscribers" section, select the CSV you previously downloaded and hit the "Import" button.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Brendan

Ok, that's unfortunate, but it'll have to do I guess.

The other question I have is regarding styling the template itself with CSS. I've tried using WPMU's HTML email plugin in conjunction with the Subscribe by Email plugin, but it doesn't offer much in terms of editing the inserted post content itself.

Is there any way that I can edit the CSS of the email template, so that my featured image appears as a full hero image and the excerpt text is below it at full width of the container? I'd also like to have the post title only appear once at the top. How am I able to edit this? It's fine if I have to go into the view folder and move it over into the root of the plugin directory.

Brendan

Update: I've figured out how to center the logo and remove the redundant title, but I'm still struggling with the featured image. I am able to change the wp image size to large, but the max-width css attribute seems to be injected inline from somewhere and cannot be overridden.

I feel like having a centered full-width hero for the featured image is a pretty commonsense layout to have?

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Brendan,

If you created own template for emails like its described on the template tab:

Want to override the template files?

Move any file in /opt/lampp/htdocs/wpnoper/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-by-email/inc/mail-templates/views/ to /opt/lampp/htdocs/wpnoper/wp-content/themes/twentyfifteen/subscribe-by-email/ an edit them for changes:

then you can edit file post.php where in line 10 is code for displaying featured image:

<div <?php echo sbe_show_featured_image() ? 'style="float:left;width: 394px;"' : ''; ?>>

so you can edit those styles float:left;width: 394px; to remove floating and with of the image to be bigger.

kind regards,
    Kasia