Subscription Failure...

PPV is a great plugin, it works for me on One-time Payment for readers to read.

However, for the subscription mode with twitter/FB auth, Paypal seems successful charged and do the transaction, but when press "back to xxx website", it seems just bring a "http//mydomain.com/mypage/?auth=xxx…" to my website, but the protected content is still being protected...

I have upgraded my PayPal account to Business, and grant API key on Paypal site, shall I do "Creating an API Certificate" and upload to my Dreamhost server? Or is it more steps I need to do?

Update:

Now it works. After set "Website Payments Standard and Express Checkout > Preferences > Auto Return for Website Payments" to ON, and also this "Payment Data Transfer (optional)" switched to ON, too. The return URL should become "http//mydomain.com/mypage/?tx=xxxx", and it will take a minute and be able to refresh the page to see protected content.

However, it seems I can ONLY set ONE "Auto Return for Website Payments- Return URL" in the preference, is that meas I have to create more than one Paypal Business account for more than one website Paypal Express Payment service?

Please help me, thanks!

• Hakan

Hi dab,

Payment for subscriptions is confirmed by Paypal IPN system. I am sure that you all heard about this process, but to remind shortly, as the client makes the payment, Paypal sends a confirmation response on the background, independent of what client is doing on the foreground. This means, although IPN name comes from Instant Payment Notification, response may not be instant. It is usually within seconds, but sometimes (I think in rare occasions) may take a few minutes.

Therefore, as the client is returned back to the website it is a possibility that IPN response has not been arrived yet. Naturally plugin cannot confirm the payment and reveal the content yet.

I am not sure if this is a great problem, because this is only applicable to the subscription case where client has an account on the website and when he checked it after a few seconds he will probably see the whole content, but if you can offer anything to improve the procedure, we may work on it.

Cheers
    Hakan

• dab

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

I think PPV(Pay Per View) plugin may not depending on IPN settings, because my PayPal account's IPN URL has been set to another site URL, not this one which use PPV, but the PPV service still work for my current site.

Assume it is necessary for PPV plugin, then why I can make it work with wrong IPN URL setting? What is the correct setting should I put into IPN Notification URL? Is http://mydomain.com/ just fine, or?

Another thing I have to point out is the Instruction of PPV plugin didn't mention anything about the IPN URL and Return URL/Payment Data Transfer settings, therefore I can't do it right at first. If they can point out these settings' instruction in plugin setting page, would be great for the users. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• Hakan

Hi dab,

Pay Per View does not depend on your IPN settings of your Paypal account. It already sends those settings itself. Those return URL you set has no meaning for the plugin at all. That's why there is no mention about those settings; You don't need to set them at all.

In fact you have already given the answer in your first message:

and it will take a minute and be able to refresh the page to see protected content.

So, in some rare cases IPN response may take some time.

So can I suggest something like that: As you know button text is freely editable. You can write something "It may take a few minutes to process."

Another thing I need to add: If you are using Paypal Sandox, its responses are much slower than the live Paypal. So what you see as a problem now, may not be a problem in live case. It should not be like that, but unfortunately it is. Please blame Paypal, not us :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Hakan

• dab

Thanks for the explain.

It's glad to realize that PPV doesn't depend IPN setting, but may need Auto Return + Payment Data Transfer set to ON? Because PPV only works when I set Auto Return URL in Paypal preference page....

In PayPal page --> Personal Profile > Website Payments Standard and Express Checkout > Preferences > Auto Return for Website Payments: ON, and also Payment Data Transfer (optional) switched to ON.

Thanks for all quick replies. :slight_smile:

dAb

• dab

Thanks, I know I need to select Option2.

What I'm trying to say, is the two setting page attached below,
    those are in my sandbox Store account setting page, you can find them in Live setting, too.

If you put them in Off, then PPV will not work.

Just give it a try. Hope I was wrong.
    Because I guess the reason why I usually get some problems when set some WPMU plugins that bundled with Paypal subscription function, may due to the same reason...

Please check it for me, many thanks!
    * And sorry for my poor English. I love WPMY, therefore I want more people to love you, too. :slight_smile:

dAb

• Hakan

Hi dab,

I tested again. The plugin works without the need for Return Url and Auto return being set. Before release it had been tested with 3 different Paypal accounts and in all of them plugin worked with default Paypal settings. By the way, those parameters are not related with the approval of payment. Approval is done with IPN system.

Can you please check your Paypal IPN preferences? It should be default (off) as well.

Can you also try with all Paypal settings are default (off), but refreshing the returned page after a delay, say 30 seconds?

Cheers
    Hakan

• dab

Dear Hakan,

I'm so sorry and many thanks to your patience, IT WORKS! even when all Paypal set to Off!!

So, in conclusion, your are right, and WPMU ROCKS, I'm wrong. I will definitely continually buy the member fee of WPMU for next year and ask my ten friends to join in... :p

I guess, it were two reasons probably cause my false alarm on this issue.

1. At very beginning, I only had a Normal Paypal account, after failed on PPV subscription, I found out a <strike>little gray instructions</strike> on PPV page, which tell me to upgrade my Paypal account to Business. I did, but it seems still not works, because...

2. I didn't refresh the page after 30 seconds....!

I don't know if there will be more dummies like me, but what you can do might be BOLD and RED the MUST UPGRADED YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT TO BUSINESS line on PPV's page instruction, and also mention about the 30sec delay to avoid some rush people like me who may misunderstood you guys just because they refresh too soon and give up....

Again, I'm so sorry for all these, you've done a great work and fantastic plugins...

Thanks!

dAb

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.