Subscription & Free Sign Ups?

Ok, we've adjusted how we are going to setup our membership on our main client site a bit. We want clients to purchase a website subscription (which includes a website, life-long updates and customization, and support) from us on our main company site using membership.

When they purchase this, they will also have access to our buddypress social network on our main marketing site to receive support and such. So this would obviously simply be an access level with buddpress access only which is tied to the paypal subscription for our package.

But we also need a free sign up option for people who aren't yet ready to buy a subscription, but only need access to a specific buddypress group we will create for prospects to ask us questions regarding our product.

But how would I do this? It can't be a second "free" subscription because that's not possible... and on sign up, users are forced to choose a subscription on step 2. Is there a way to present them with a subscription AND a free option? Something like this:

Select A Subscription:
Please select a subscription from the options below. If you would simply like to join our social network or have any questions regarding our products before you buy, select the Basic Membership option below.

Website Platform Suscription >
Basic Membership >

How could I accomplish this? I do not see an obvious way to create a "free" subscription or sign up option.

Thanks!

• Barry

Ok, we've adjusted how we are going to setup our membership on our main client site a bit. We want clients to purchase a website subscription (which includes a website, life-long updates and customization, and support) from us on our main company site using membership.

If you're offering a website, have you had a look at the pro-sites plugin? That's designed to offer users, websites, updates, customisation, etc.. whereas membership is designed for a content based site where you are offering users access to information rather than functionality.

• coreymj78

LOL I swear every time I talk about this someone just mentions the Pro Sites plugin. I do not want to use the Pro Sites plugin. Membership is what we need. And you are wrong. Membership lets you set up access levels (which are tied to subscriptions) that give the user access to certain areas of the site, even plugins, which amounts to functionality, not just information. This is what we want. The pro level will have access to the admin area and the free level will have access to the buddypress area only. Membership makes this easy. I have already decided to use MEMBERSHIP. Everything is setup the way I need it EXCEPT the only question I had was how to setup a FREE level of access along with the paid subscription.

Membership has the exact functionality I need and lets me set up the access levels I need and is also a site based plugin (as opposed to a network based plugin like pro sites which I dont want) and it lets me set up subscriptions with paypal like I need, but the only thing it doesn't seem to have that I need is a way to simply specify a subscription as free.

This wouldn't be that big of a change, to be able to have a free sign-up subscription option.

How much would it cost me to have someone simply tweak this plugin for me to provide this functionality? Thanks.

• Barry

Membership is what we need. And you are wrong.

Ok, as the person who developed membership, I'd have thought I had a clue about what it was designed to do but hey :slight_smile: maybe I read your initial post wrong.

It can't be a second "free" subscription because that's not possible...

Why isn't it possible? Surely two subscriptions and the choice of which one to pick, with your description at the top of the subscription form would work?

How much would it cost me to have someone simply tweak this plugin for me to provide this functionality? Thanks.

What's your deadline? The new version of membership radically changes the registration part of the plugin (including switching the order around so that user selects a subscription first then registers, rather than the other way around), so whilst it's as backwards compatible as possible, it may already do what you would be thinking of doing.

• coreymj78

I wasn't being persnickety when I said "you are wrong" You are the developer, that's why I am confused when you say it's not possible to use it to limit functionality as opposed to only information.

Anyway, you say "Why isn't it possible? Surely two subscriptions and the choice of which one to pick, with your description at the top of the subscription form would work?"

But can you tell me how you create a free subscription with no price tag connected to it? Every time I have gone in to create a subscription, I of course have to attached a Membership LEVEL to it, and when I do that, the only options to set are MODE, PERIOD, AND PRICE. If I set the price to $0, it still shows up with a paypal button, which would take them to a paypal checkout, even though it's free... am I right? So how then would I set up a free option at signup.

I'm not sure why this is so confusing.
    P.S. When is the new version out? Thanks.

• Barry

But can you tell me how you create a free subscription with no price tag connected to it? Every time I have gone in to create a subscription, I of course have to attached a Membership LEVEL to it, and when I do that, the only options to set are MODE, PERIOD, AND PRICE. If I set the price to $0, it still shows up with a paypal button, which would take them to a paypal checkout, even though it's free... am I right? So how then would I set up a free option at signup.

Assume you are using the paypal express gateway? That gateway treats the initial period as a "trial" as part of a subscription, and thus passes it to Paypal, if there is another level in the subscription which has an amount tied to it. If it doesn't have a second level in the subscription then the Paypal gateway shouldn't display a button at all, and you'd need to activate the free gateway to handle the free subscription (even though it also shows a paypal button, it doesn't access paypal).

Alternatively, you can use the PayPal single payments gateway rather than those two, and it will handle both free and paid subscriptions, and pass the relevant ones to paypal.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.