Subscription hopping and recurring/one-time payments in Membership

Hello!

I am encountering a few issues related to the PayPal gateways in the Membership plugin.

1) My recurring subscription tiers are at $2, $5 and $10, and are thus outside the 20% range for PayPal to allow alterations to their recurring payments. As it stands, in order to upgrade subscriptions, my users have to unsubscribe on the site, login to PayPal and remove the recurring payment, then set up a new payment at the new subscription tier. Some of my users are confused by this process. Is there a best practice for ensuring that this is communicated properly? Is there a way to ensure that previous recurring payments are properly removed before upgrading to the new subscription tier? Is there an easier way to allow subscription plan hopping while staying with PayPal as a gateway?

2) If someone upgrades to a new subscription without properly eliminating the old one in PayPal, they will be charged twice, once for each plan. As a flip-side to this issue, what's to stop someone from creating an account, then cancelling the PayPal recurring payment without cancelling their subscription, thus retaining access to that subscription plan on the site without having to pay the recurring payment?

3) My site is a webcomic which will run for exactly three years. I've had many users request to pay the whole three year's worth up-front. I'm unable to use the single-payment gateway on just the subscription plan that allows for the one-payment option; all gateways are active for all subscription plans, and the PayPal buttons look identical. Is there an option somewhere that I've missed for that? What would be the best way to set up this kind of thing? I'm not 100% certain I've configured it correctly, and I certainly don't want to be accidentally charging someone a recurring payment of a lump sum.

4) A feature request: it would be swell to be able to alter the font colours and form CSS without altering the plugin CSS or creating a child theme. Some kind of visual editor in the dashboard that could save your font/background customizations would be really handy.

Thank you!

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @dep,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your questions.

Regarding first and second question, this will certainly take a bit of trial and error to try to figure it out.

Therefore in an effort of expediency I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advise for us.

3) My site is a webcomic which will run for exactly three years. I've had many users request to pay the whole three year's worth up-front. I'm unable to use the single-payment gateway on just the subscription plan that allows for the one-payment option; all gateways are active for all subscription plans, and the PayPal buttons look identical. Is there an option somewhere that I've missed for that? What would be the best way to set up this kind of thing? I'm not 100% certain I've configured it correctly, and I certainly don't want to be accidentally charging someone a recurring payment of a lump sum.

If you want to use single payment gateway for all subscriptions then just activate that gateway from the following path

Admin Area -> Membership -> Payment Gateways

Or do you want to use different gateway for different subscription plans?

4) A feature request: it would be swell to be able to alter the font colours and form CSS without altering the plugin CSS or creating a child theme. Some kind of visual editor in the dashboard that could save your font/background customizations would be really handy.

Thanks for your feature request. I have moved this over to the features & feedback section. This way it can be considered for future development, and we can also see what other community members think about the feature request.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• dep

Thanks for your prompt reply, Vinod.

Regarding item 3, I want to use a different gateway for different subscription plans. I want allow users to choose between a monthly payment or a one-payment plan so they can pay everything up front without having to worry about a monthly deduction from their PayPal account. In the interest of simplicity, I'd rather not present users with multiple buttons (as is the case when multiple gateways are active) if one is redundant for that plan.

• Vaughan

Hi @dep,

It's not really advisable to use more than 1 gateway. We have added these to the feature requests for the developer to look into.

The developers are working hard on a brand new rewrite of membership, with a lot better interface and feature set, we are hoping to have a beta release soon, though I can't give an ETA at this time, but it should make for a more versatile and expandable plugin once it's released.

Hope this helps

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.