Subscription/Access levels set up

Hi, WPMU staff,
In my new membership, I'm delivering a book and a journey to use the information that goes with it. The book is divided in 4 seasons, but each season has different number of chapters and the chapters are delivered weekly. Also the membership starts with a free month trial. I use PayPal Standard.

Subscription 1: Book and Journey
One month trial/FREE/ automatically upgrades after a month to

DreamQuest-Season 1/$25 a month/automatically upgrades after a month to

DreamQuest- Season 2/ $25 a month/ automatically upgrades after 9 weeks to

DreamQuest-Season 3/$25 a month/automatically upgrades after 9 weeks to

DreamQuest-Season 4/$25 a month/ends in the 16th week.

As you can see, though there is a monthly fee, some seasons end up having extra weeks!! I don't mind giving an extra week for free, but how do I set up each season? It looks like if I'm charging monthly I cannot set it up to last per week. Any ideas on how to deal with this?

How do I add a CHOICE for subscribers in the seasons above to receive EITHER of these downloadable subscriptions?

Digital Novel Subscription-MOBI Format:
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4

Digital Novel Subscription-EPUB Format:
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4

In other words, for each season in the first subscription, I'd like the subscribers to be able to choose which format of the digital book they prefer and to get that season automatically delivered in tablet format.

BOOK ONLY
The above subscriptions can also be purchased independently by visitors who are not subscribers for the journey, but want to subscribe to the digital book. I'd like them to be able to get the seasons each week or download all of them at once.

AUTORESPONDERS
Also, I want to send autoresponders reminded them of the weekly downloads. I use Aweber. Do you integrate with Aweber? If you do, how do I set up these levels to go with the Aweber lists? If not, can I set up an autoresponder sequence for each level?

As I don't know yet the structure, there may be other ways to set up to get the same results, so I'm open to suggestions on how to use the plugin imaginatively. (LOL)

Thanks,
Maria Mar

• Vaughan

hiya

thanks for the post.

i'm not sure the way you are trying to use the plugin is in the way it was designed for.

membership controls access to content. so you could have each season on it's own page or however you're posting them. then with each access level, you give them access to those pages.

however if you're selling books in digital form, wouldn't something like marketpress be better suited?

i'm no expert on membership plugin though. let me ping @Patrick Cohen who has a lot more experience of it than i do, he may know a solution.

hope this helps.

thanks.

• Patrick

Hi @mariamar

Welcome to the forums!

It looks like if I'm charging monthly I cannot set it up to last per week.

That is basically correct. However, if you want to charge on a mostly-monthly basis for periods that aren't really monthly, you can split the subscription plan into finite periods with different weekly durations, but at the same price. The screenshot below illustrates how you could set that up.

I'd like the subscribers to be able to choose which format of the digital book they prefer and to get that season automatically delivered in tablet format.

First, create the required protected download groups (as seen in the 2nd screenshot below). You can name them anything you like really.

Then upload your files to your media library in your posts/pages and, for each, select the appropriate protected content group (3rd screenshot).

Then add the "Downloads" rule to your access levels and be sure to select the corresponding protected group for each access level (4th screenshot).

That should keep you busy for a while :slight_smile:

• mariamar

This looks good, Patrick, and I really appreciate the screenshot, as it's a bit complicated. Tomorrow I'll follow the steps visually and see what happens. The question I have not gotten an answer yet is this:

How do I set up the free month trial so that it is automatically followed up by the first paid month subscription?

Obviously the subscribers has to leave their financial information in PayPal, but as it seems that all subscriptions must be the same price, how can I make the first one free without having to ask the subscribers to come back to pay at the end of the month?

If you let me know about this, I'm hoping I can do the basic set up quickly. (Fingers crossed.)

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.