Subscriptions not showing up anywhere

Hi,

After 6 painful hours of trying to make this thing work, I will have to post my issue here:
I am following the instructions to the letter. I am following the instructions, but I cannot have any subscriptions to show up on the signup page.

I am trying to set up two membership types:
A free one and a paid one. The paid one should be using recurrent payments with paypal.

I can set subscriptions and add members to them using the admin backend, but the users dont even see the Upgrade Buttons anywhere on the site.

What is the purpose of this plugin if I have to both process payments and add the users manually?

Are there any extra steps involving paypal that were not covered in the instructions?

I am showing the same page as here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/upgrade-1?replies=8

• DavidM

Hi taropaa,

Your upgrade situation is actually due to there being no front-end Subscription selection capability. What you'll need to do is make sure the Subscriptions you're using are both Active and Made Public.

You'll also need to ensure the gateways you're using are Activated as well, which in your case would be the Free Gateway and the PayPal with Subscriptions gateway.

Could you please let me know if that's done already?

Thanks,
    David

• taropaa

Both Subscriptions are active and public and the required gateways are also enabled.
    I tried both the default settings for the paypal subscriptions and I tried creating a new button in paypal and inputting the button URL's in the field (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/upgrade-1?replies=8).
    I am also failing to locate the "default gateway" that seems to be mentioned around the forums.
    Thanks for the fast reply

• Barry

I am also failing to locate the "default gateway" that seems to be mentioned around the forums.

There is no default gateway, which is probably why you can't find it :slight_smile:

Which gateways are you using? When you say "On the signup page" which page do you mean - can you give us a URL?

There should be two pages for the signup, the user signs up for an account on the first page and then they are directed to the second page where they see the subscriptions?

• controlyours

so every new user I create ends up with the gateway set to admin and can't upgrade.

I'm not sure what you mean...do you mean that every new user's "Role" is set to admin? If so, you need to disable user registration in the "Settings" > "General" section of wordpress. Uncheck the box that says "Anyone can register"...I'm guessing that the dropbox below this check mark says "New User Default Role" > "Administrator".

The term Gateway is how payments are processed, nothing to do with the role of the user. --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_gateway

Unless you set a Gateway that is called admin...which you don't need to do.

If you have "Free Memberships" for a specific subscription, that is what you'd call one of your gateways. Otherwise, if you offer paid subscriptions, they would be called something like "PayPal Express - with Subscriptions" or "PayPal Express - with Single Payments". The Membership plugin knows wether or not to use one of your payment Gatways depending on if your "Subscriptions" rules are set to include a price or not.

Example "Levels":
    1. "Strangers" - This is what the default person can see without an account...blah blah blah
    2. "Members" - This is what the basic members can see and make sure to mark what "Subscription" is associated with this account (like the "Free Memberships")
    3. "Premium Members" - This is your main paid account and you'll say what they can see (everything that "Members" can see plus some other shit...and include what "Subscription" they will be associated with (like "Paid Memberships", this subscription will actually include collecting money.

Example "Subscriptions":
    1. "Free Memberships" - in the rules, you have no money selected (and because of this, it will automatically chose your "Free Memberships" Gateway)
    2. "Paid Memberships" - In the rules, you select that how often you want to be paid and the amount (since you said that you're collecting money, it will give the user the choice of either "PayPal Express - with Subscriptions" or "PayPal Express - with Single Payments", depending on how they want to pay and which benefits them more.

Example "Gateways" (even though we already covered this:
    1. "Free Memberships"
    2. "PayPal Express - with Subscriptions"
    3. "PayPal Express - with Single Payments"

• Mason

Thanks @controlyours for the additional info :smiley:

@taropaa, just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we'll get onto it and helping you out asap!
    Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.