Subsite admins getting permissions error when trying to get on their dashboard

Hello, I have a multisite with pro sites and a sub site admin recently contacted me that she cannot get on her dashboard anymore. She is getting the "you do not have sufficient permissions" error. I checked my sites under the network admin dash and all my sub sites suddenly have no users anymore listed. Normally they would all have the subsite admin listed as administrator. .........the first thing I did was go to this particular user's site and add her as an administrator to her own site. That has not given her access to her dashboard. I have started deactivating plugins one by one but nothing has come up so far.

Recently the only big thing I did to the site was add the following to the wp-config file to force the https as I do have a ssl security certificate. define('FORCE_SSL_ADMIN', true);
I removed it but that has not solved the problem.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Leslie, I hope you are doing well!

I'm sorry to hear you have this issue!

Did you updated recently any other plugin?If not, were there any other events that happened at or around the same time your users disappeared? Do you have any security plugin installed?

While all plugins deactivated, except Pro Sites, the users can login to their created subsite?

Do you have a sandbox site where I can login and troubleshoot?

Do you happen to have a site backup from before when this issue occurred that you can restore?

Please check your DB, look for wp_users table and make sure that the users are there. (wp is a default prefix table, yours should be different)

Please advise,

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• Leslie
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Nastia, I can probably restore if need be. I do not have a sandbox to test but can give you a subsite store and password where you can see what the site admin is seeing but do not want to send it through the thread. This test user I am working on can log into their site but she cannot access the dashboard. I am checking DB now. Users are there as well as I can see the list of users on my network dashboard as well as on my main site user list.

I do have a security plugin installed. Wangguard. I tried deactivating it to see if the problem would go away. It was still happening.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello there @Leslie!

Would you please send the credentials the user's subsite by using our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Anastasia
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    - Login url
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls

Select “I have a different question” for your topic!

And please grant support access from your Dashboard > WPMU DEV > Support so that I can check your main site settings?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Let us know when you do!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @Leslie!

Thank you for sending the credentials!

I see that the user just renewed her Pro sites account.

I see the following error in JS developer console:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)

Please, enable wordpress debugging by putting the following lines in the wp-config.php file:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

This code will now show errors on the front page, but will store it in wp-content/debug.log file.

Once you enable debugging, please login with user's credentials and open from "My Sites" the second user's subsite "Insp**tos".

After that, please attache the debug.log file here.

P.S.: I can't login to your site with your account using staff support login. This must be because of the security plugin. You could disable the plugin so I could login to your site, or please send to us your credentials using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ following the same body structure like I posted in the above post.

Awaiting for your response!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Leslie, I hope you are well today!

Thank you for sending the debug.log file, there are no errors in the txt file.

My apologies for late reply.

I've tried to login to your site to continue troubleshooting, but you have enabled a debugging mode, please let us know when you will disable it so I can have a look again.

Let us know if you need assistance!

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• Leslie
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi, I don't have debugging turned on. As of today, I can't log on as admin either. Getting the errors
    ERROR: Cookies are blocked due to unexpected output.
    I have had this error before and the first time, we got rid of child theme and disabled all plugins and that fixed it.
    The second time, the above didn't work and we ended up having to do a total restore. I've already tried the first fix. I noticed that one warning talks about line 400 in the wp-login. php file. I checked first that the wp-login.php file is ok and it is then I checked what line 400 is and here it is:
    setcookie( TEST_COOKIE, 'WP Cookie check', 0, COOKIEPATH, COOKIE_DOMAIN, $secure ); Since line 400 is about cookies and the error is about cookies, maybe this is what I should be looking into. What do you think?

below are the other warnings on the login page

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-includes/post.php:1) in /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-login.php on line 387

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-includes/post.php:1) in /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-login.php on line 400

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-includes/post.php:1) in /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 955

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-includes/post.php:1) in /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 956

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-includes/post.php:1) in /home/ldiederich/ecraftandshare.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 957

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @Leslie, I hope you are doing well today!

Most likely, when you attempt to remove the code I gave you above, wasn't removed entirely. Would you please search for the following code in the wp-config.php file and erase it:
    define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

Let us know how it went!

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• Leslie
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi there, the debug was set to false and the previous code I put in was taken out. The errors were due to some malicious code that my host found which I just cleaned up tonight. I can log in now and the errors are gone. I am going to send you credentials to log in instead of disabling my security plugin. I am still having the issue with my subsite admin not being able to log into her dashboard. Still getting the you do not have permission to access etc.......

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Leslie, I hope you are doing well today!

This was a user role issue. To solve this, I have created a new role called Subsite admin, you can review or edit user capabilities on the user's sub site by navigating to Users > Roles. Please check if the issue is fixed from your end.

Let us know if you require any further assistance!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Leslie
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Nastia, I was thinking of doing the exact same thing as a work around. So it is working on the subsite that you visited. When I go to that dashboard, the capabilities are all there ready to grant or deny. Today, I went to another subsite to do the same thing and then go to all subsites manually and configure user roles. Not something I was looking forward to. Anyway, all other subsites including the main site are not showing any capabilities to grant or deny even while the first subsite that we successfully updated is working fine. Ughhhhh.....See the screenshot. Why would it be working on one subsite and then on no others is beyond me. I guess I should start deactivating plugins again one by one...ughhh again.... Any other ideas?

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @Leslie, I hope you are doing well today!

Today, I went to another subsite to do the same thing and then go to all subsites manually and configure user roles. Not something I was looking forward to.

I'm guessing that the Members plugin you are using doesn't apply global user roles in a Multisite installation, that's why it's needed a separate setup on each subsite.

Why would it be working on one subsite and then on no others is beyond me. I guess I should start deactivating plugins again one by one

It looks like a conflict with a plugin, The last time I logged in to your site, the plugin was working on your main site too. Have you enabled or updated a plugin these days?

The best practice before any plugin/theme update is to have a development site where you can make all the changes and test if the update or a new plugin is compatible with the rest of plugins on your site

Please advise,

Cheers,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.