Subsite lost all subscribers

Hi,

One of my multisite network subsites had a number of subscribers. At some point, possibly when I upgraded the plugin to the current version, they lost them all - the list was empty. (They reported this at the same time as the other issue - the Subscriptions menu is no longer visible in the Control Panel.)

Have you ever heard of this happening? Is it possible to drop subscribers without someone actively deleting them? Is there any way to find out who the subscribers were (the admin had no csv file and has not kept the confirmation emails)?

Thanks.

Mahlamusa

Hello Anders,

I hope you are doing great today. I am terribly sorry about the inconvenience that this have caused for you and your subscribers, I hope we get to the root of this very soon.

Have you ever heard of this happening?

I searched on the forums and it seems that this happened a long time ago. It seems this may have happened while upgrading, maybe the database upgrade was not completed successfully.

Is it possible to drop subscribers without someone actively deleting them?

It doesn't seem the subscribers were deleted but the database was left in a state not readable by the new version. The plugin should not wipe out any data when upgrading.

Is there any way to find out who the subscribers were (the admin had no csv file and has not kept the confirmation emails)?

The best thing to do here is to backup the current database (may need to backup database tables specific to the subsite having issues), after that restore the previous version of the plugin. Lets try it this way step by step:

1. Backup current database (or tables of the site having issues)
    2. Deactivate and delete the latest version of the plugin
    3. Download and install the version you upgraded from (the version you had before the issue occurred)
    4. Activate the older version you just installed on the subsite you have issues with.
    5. See if the subsribers are visible or not.
    6. Update to the latest version from the "WPMUDEV Dashboard" then go to the plugin's page and see if you see the subscribers
    7. If you are taken through the upgrade process importing the subscribers to the new version, please do not interrupt that process, let it finish.
    8. After finishing this, you should have all your subscribers back.

Please also see this thread for details about a similar issue. If the subscribers are still not visible, let us know and we will do a deeper investigation.

For further investigation, we will need access to your site, so please enable support access and provide the following through our secure contact form. On the contact form choose "I have a different question" then include:

Subject: "Attn: Lindeni Mahlalela"
    In the Message box, include:
    - WordPress login details (login url, admin username, password)
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - Web Hosting Control Panel Login (login url, username and password). We need this to access the database
    - Any other relevant urls/information
    - Link back to this thread for reference

If you are not sure about any of the steps above, just provide the login credentials and Once we have all that information we will continue with an investigation. I hope we resolve this soon.

Cheers,
    Mahlamusa

Anders

Thank you Mahlamusa. First of all, reverting to a previous version of the plugin (2.4) resolved the issue. So the site has its subscribers back, which is great!
    However, upgrading again using the WPMUDEV dashboard it breaks functionality for subsites that existed before the upgrade. There was no prompt to update the database, either as network admin or on the subsite.
    I will keep 2.4 for now.

Cheers